• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 seperate BH-5 sticks run at 260 but wont run 260 in DC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ub3r-L33ch

2 seperate BH-5 sticks run at 260 but wont run 250 in DC

I have ran Stick 1 and Stick 2 by themselves up to 260FSB at 3.6v. Windows will boot and I can do a run of 3DMark01 with no problems. When I put them together to run in DC even with 3.8v at 250FSB windows sometimes wont load, and if it does 3DMark01 is completely unstable. I'm using the OCZ DDR Booster for the voltage.

I have the VTT chip heatsinked, NB has an NB-1C, the SB is passive cooled and my case has decent airflow. I'm no expert but it seems to me none of that should matter anyways if I know for a fact each stick is capable of 260FSB at 3.6v but wont run 250 in DC at even 3.8v.

Try SC. DC only adds *thinks back a long time* 2-5% OR 5-10%. I don't remember exactly but it's miniscule. Also, 3.8 CANT be good for long term usage. Does the booster override vtt? That could be a problem.

I'm still learning so I'm not sure what you mean by does the Booster overide the VTT. I know 3.8v wont be good for long term usage I just want to see what this stuff is capable of. I want to hit 250 and I think they might be stable at 3.4v but I'm not sure yet.

I should mention that I have done the L12 mod and the Vdd mod, in case that might have any effect.

Thanks for the help, I'll try running them in SC.

it's the memory controllers.... this is a consistant problem on NF7 boards.... I know my ram is capable of much more than 240... but that's what I'm stuck with because my ram is 512x2. Single sided sticks can go up into the 260's with a NF7 but double sided sticks just don't do as well. even with cpc off you'll have problems getting into the 250's with double sided sticks in dual mode. :-/

ur gonna burn em if u run them at 3.6 for any length of time. plus ur gonna get better oc;s in single channel cause the mem controller isnt working hard.. why not try a reasonable voltage ie" 3.2 volts and see how they perform..

Dammit I'm not just one of those guys that uses 512MB RAM and OCes the living daylights out of it and doesnt play games. I like to push it as far as it will go within a reasonable amount of tweaking/modding etc... but I cant play my games on 512MB RAM... argh... oh well I guess 240FSB or so will have to do :(

pwnt by pat said:
Most bh-5 is spec'd for 3.4-3.6. I concider 3.5 safe for normal usage.

3.6 is the max for these chips.. running them at 3.5 most likely will shorten the lifespan or burn em. remember we are also running them at a higher freq, which doubly stresses the components . the only memory i know of capable of holding those voltages 24\7 is the bh6. it can take higher voltages because it is an older version with a larger die process. with that being said, i am not the voltage police, i am merely suggesting that b4 someone runs those voltages they actually consider the extra speeds (if any) is worth the shortened lifespan..

Sorry for hijaking you're thred.I was just wondering if a ddr booster would help my bh-6? i dont have vtt mod and i dont plan on doing one cause i dont want to weld anything :) So if anyone thinks its a good idea to get one i will cause right now in my sig i have it at 220 at 2.9 i think its pretty decent for bh-6 with only 2.9vdimm?

Yes it will help alot if your mobo is compatabile. BH-6 is often clocking only 5-10% behind BH-5. I can run 270mhz 2-2-2-6 with Mushkin LII and 3.7v via booster on DFI.....but not dual channel. Thats is a whole nother ball game. Uber 240 dual channel would be killer with your system.

Ub3r-L33ch said:
I have ran Stick 1 and Stick 2 by themselves up to 260FSB at 3.6v. Windows will boot and I can do a run of 3DMark01 with no problems. When I put them together to run in DC even with 3.8v at 250FSB windows sometimes wont load, and if it does 3DMark01 is completely unstable. I'm using the OCZ DDR Booster for the voltage.

I have the VTT chip heatsinked, NB has an NB-1C, the SB is passive cooled and my case has decent airflow. I'm no expert but it seems to me none of that should matter anyways if I know for a fact each stick is capable of 260FSB at 3.6v but wont run 250 in DC at even 3.8v.

What is the VTT chip? I am stuck on 230fsb with my A7N8X and maybe if I cool this chip it will get me higher? Could I get a pic of what it looks like on your board?

I just ordered a ddr booster for my bh-6 and nf7 i hope it helps me more then 220 with 2.9v. And does anyone know how to mod the booster to get dc with my mobo pics would help :)and what about the vtt mod do u think i would need to do it? I dont know how and if it involves wellding i wont try it :) but if its something simple i might.

Back