• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gainward 6800gt Oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KHF

My GAINWARD 6800GT is able to oc 420/1200 without any problem . but when I want to oc more. it show that the drive doesnt allow me to do this
any one can help me to solve it ?
I used coolbit before, it is a .reg file. but i still can't oc it above 420/1200
Thanks

Last edited:
My 6800 GT Golden Sample has been having some serious problems. Blanking out desktop, artifacts, etc. I had some contact with Gainward USA Technical Support and since I do system builds and work on enterprise servers, he asked me to check the heatsink and verify it was tight. Well I found a big problem with the card. First the heatsink was installed and had a tilt to it (it has 4 screws that hold it down). Secondly, there was very little compound on the GPU core. The heatsink compound covered may 1/3rd of the core and the heatsink itself has a poor finish (quite rough). Pretty embarassing if you ask me on a $400+ card. After applying some AS5 and attaching the heatsink properly, my core temp dropped from 64C idle to about 48C and my auto detect settings went from 410/1.12 to 422/1.14 running the stock bios. Just as I was writing this my screen blanked out again, so that problem is not fixed. However this was the worst thermal compound job I've ever seen! BAD Gainward!

If you want more OC then what Coolbits is autodecting your going to need to use Rivatuner to turn off the selftests it performs. While this will give you the ability to clock to whatever you want use common scense.

To much OC will slow these cards down. They are very sensitive to heat and throttle quickly.

I concur with what unixadm is saying. The mounting of the heatsink really needs attention if you plan on OC'ing the card much. Just put some good AS5 on there and make sure the 4 bolts are tightened evenly but not to much as you can distort the board with to much tension.

However in Gainwards defense unixadm you were already getting speeds above the Ultra before you touched it. By far Gainward has the best offering when it comes to the 6800 series.

True - however I was receiving artifacting at the 400/1100 enhanced mode. It's like buying a $3000 set of wheels, but they forget to install the center caps. The easy part of the job is often the most overlooked. The amount of technology and effort that goes into making a card, but then they screw up the easy part. It's a problem not just with Gainward or is it limited to video cards.

I tollerated it before, however at this price point people should not have to deal with this. I know my card isn't the only screwed up one out there. And if you try to fix it, you may very well void your warranty. Anyhow, it was not my intention to flame Gainward, but this could hinder your Overclock which is what the thread is about. :)

I solved it. used rivetuner 15.2 to disable the "inter*** test" ( forget how to spell this, sorry about my english). now i can go up to 470/1250 with NV 68 waterblock. temp is around 46C room temp around 23C.
but now there is another issue which is the 3D MARK03 result is 11700.. that's strange. I can get 13880 when it runs 450/1200. really strange. what's the problem with it?
furthermore, any one knows where I can download the ultra bios of Gainward or how to make the voltage higer? (edit the original bios)

many thanks

You have went past the stable point of your card. When you OC to far, performance drops off. Scale the GPU and Memory back 10mhz each and continue to retry 3DMark03 until your score goes back into the 13k range. Then adjust each individually to find out if the memory or the GPU is at fault.

IC. but why someone is able to get 18000 . how did they to that?
and when I run 3dmark, it doesnt have any problem with . also I played 2 hours DOOM 3. it was stable..

Just because the card does not artifact does not mean it's stable. Every card is different and who knows what kind of mods a person can have to their card or system to get a score that high. Are you running the stock bios with 1.3V on the GPU?

KHF said:
I solved it. used rivetuner 15.2 to disable the "inter*** test" ( forget how to spell this, sorry about my english). now i can go up to 470/1250 with NV 68 waterblock. temp is around 46C room temp around 23C.
but now there is another issue which is the 3D MARK03 result is 11700.. that's strange. I can get 13880 when it runs 450/1200. really strange. what's the problem with it?
furthermore, any one knows where I can download the ultra bios of Gainward or how to make the voltage higer? (edit the original bios)

many thanks

At that OC speed you really need more voltage. The Gainward ultra bios woln't work properly on a GT or at least thats been my experience thus far. With other brands that seems to work but not with Gainward. Anyway just backup your current bios with nvflash -b myorigbios.rom (or whatever you want to call it) and edit it in Omnixtremeedit (available from guru3d.com). Use it to up your voltage to 1.4 from 1.3. This should aid your OC stability. Also I think you should back the memory back down to 1200 Max. The 2.0ns memory doesn't seem to respond well above that.

KHF said:
IC. but why someone is able to get 18000 . how did they to that?
and when I run 3dmark, it doesnt have any problem with . also I played 2 hours DOOM 3. it was stable..

Because they aren't real machines they use daily. LOL The one I can think of that 18k was chilled and running at 4.9Ghz on the CPU like 280-300FSB and so on. If you can get in the solid 14k with a stable machine you should be proud and happy with that.

Thank you . I decrease the mem back to 1200. I get a 14200 mark in 3Dmark03.(stable, play DOOM 3 and call of duty for 3 hours) when i try to push it to 480/1200, the score is 11700. so that's the same issue. I think 470/1200 should be the max. I will use Omnixtremeedit to edit the voltage later one and see how it is going.

I noticed at 455/1.16 which is my fastest stable speed that at 13000 3d03 marks I was cpu limited. Going higher on the core did nothing. Wven backing it back down to 445 was about the same results. Upping the FSB gave me about 15 marks per 1mhz

KHF said:
Thank you . I decrease the mem back to 1200. I get a 14200 mark in 3Dmark03.(stable, play DOOM 3 and call of duty for 3 hours) when i try to push it to 480/1200, the score is 11700. so that's the same issue. I think 470/1200 should be the max. I will use Omnixtremeedit to edit the voltage later one and see how it is going.

Thats a nice score man. I think the extra voltage might get you stable to another 10-20Mhz on the GPU but is it really necessary? Your already kicking out some outragous number from a GT (i've seen a few Ultras go over 500 on water). Unless you feel the need to push it further your way ahead of the curve and if I was you would be more then pleased with the results.

I don't think there's going to be any games out soon that challenge your hardware. Let us know how the voltage mod works. If you need it I have a couple of Gainward Bios's already modded at 1.4v I can send you.

Nandro said:
Is there a way to edit the bios to say 1.45? 1.4 is great, but 1.5 dosent work for me. I think 1.45 would be the cats *** for me.

Your not alone on that request. I've yet to hear of a way to do it though.

Jeffp,
I just push the voltage up to 1.4v, but haven't got time to do some testing( need to finish my assignment ). could you please sent those modded bios to me
I will pm you my email .
thank you

Back