• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Article Ideas - Overclocking AMD64 90nm Winchester

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fushyuguru

As many of you know I've been a writer for OCMODSHOP for a while now, but I tend to browse OC-Forums more often than our own.

As of late theres been a big intrest in the 90nm flavor of socket 939 Winchester chips. Mostly because of the advent of cheaper socket 939's and their limited availability.

I was lucky enough to pick one up during the early days of their sale (before the huge price hikes). So reacting to the intrest in these chips I've decided an article overclocking the chip and exploring its abilities and heat loads would be of great benefit to the overclocking comunity.

So Far I have planned testing the chip with two types of cooling systems to give a range of results:

- Thermalright XP-90
- Vapochill Lightspeed [AC]

I will also be measuring temperature changes across several board components such as the power regulators.

The reason for this post is to reach out to you all and see what particular things you would be interested in regarding these chips so I can augment my article and help answer some overall questions.

ETA of the article: Monday October 18th

All right. Thanks man. You definitely picked the right article. There are dozen's of people asking the same questions on this stuff. Including me ;) I'm looking forward to it. What memory are you going to use for the test?

AC Slater said:
Awesome, I'm looking forward to it.

I was once flipping through the channels, and Animal Planet was on, and AC Slater was hosting some animal show and he's like all 'don't bring your pet close to me, I'm allergic.'

How do you get a gig on Animal Planet, hosting an animal show, with animals in it, all the while being allergic to them? That's what I want to know... :)

enduro said:
All right. Thanks man. You definitely picked the right article. There are dozen's of people asking the same questions on this stuff. Including me ;) I'm looking forward to it. What memory are you going to use for the test?

I will be using 2x256 kit of PQI Turbo PC3200 CAS2-2-2-5 with the TCCD samsung chips. Most people have been getting 270mhz or more out of them, so there shouldnt be any memory bottleneck.

I will also be using:
- MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum or the Abit AV8 board
- PC Power and Cooling 510 deluxe PSU
- ATI 9800 Pro 256mg

Hopefully we can get an idea of the ceiling these chips have with the Vapochill LS.

Most of the hardware above is in for review, but were putting the reviews on the back burner till we can get this article out. It seems more important at the moment.

I would *Love* to see a comparo with wildly overclcoked pentiums.. presshot or northy...does'nt matter... I so sick of these sites overclocking or doing and overclocking guide only comparing it to same family of chips.

How are we supposed to know best bang for the buck? At that point it's just numbers which of course are better than stock but so what? What I really want to know if I buy a 3.0E for the same price how it compares when we slam them both. Then see the best bang for buck.

Leave all synthetics out.

Very interested in temperatures comparisons between it the 130nm variety AND intel 3.2GHz Prescott and Northwood (assuming you have a 3200+ that is!)

OC Detective said:
Very interested in temperatures comparisons between it the 130nm variety AND intel 3.2GHz Prescott and Northwood (assuming you have a 3200+ that is!)

Unfortunately I am too but dont have a 130nm 939. I will see if I can get ahold of one in short time, but probably wont be able to.

I can probably do a compare between this and a 2.8ghz LGA775. One of us at OCMS just ran a LGA775 at about 3.75ghz so I am checking today if we can coordinate a comparison. If we can simulate similar environments then the numbers may be usefull so I will def pursue that.

It's too bad I don't have access to multiple platforms all the time, otherwise I would be thinking in the same direction as OC detective and Beerhunter.

If someone with a 3.2E platform, or a 130nm 939, withdecent overclokability and similar setup and graphics comparable to a 9800pro 256meg would like to step forward and offer assistance then I would greatly appreciate it and add the results to the article.

If this was set up, temperatures however would be moot across different platforms unfortunately. The only thing I would ever feel confident about post regarding temperatures is if I could place a 130nm 939 in my own setup and compare overclocked temps. Though as I said before, I may npt be able to get one in time.

The issue I am personally interested in is how high can we expect the ceiling of these chips to be so early in the 90nm game.

Last edited:
Back