• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ljfg'jsak;fdljg'lf

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R0BB23

how many directories can a 40gb computer have.

the hardrive is close, but still has room, to being maxed out.

no........that's the number of characters you can have in a file name. I'm not sure there is a limit, but wouldn't doubt it.

If you're low on disk space and getting "out of hard drive space" errors, it's more than likely your swap file (or virtual memory) is taking up the remaining space. I like to use as a rule of thumb, keeping the hard drive less than 3/4 full.

its running a scan disk cause my os got screwed up (win xp rc1 2504)

and im installing win 98 so i can get back into my system and it keeps giving this directory error needs to fix and its like on dirctory 293.

how long and many can this go?

It should give this error when scanning through the directories, looking for invalid directories and files. This can go on for a REALLY long time. I once had a hard drive with *almost* all the pins into the IDE connector, and I completely trashed everything on the HD. I think I ended up putting a rock or something on the enter key just so I could leave the computer....

The number of folders it can find is way more than 512 (this is the limit for folders in the root directory). On my P-90 (812Mb of HD space) I already have 277 folders. You people with working windows use 'Find' and tell it to find only folders. When you search, it will return every folder on the C drive. You try to tell me it is less than 512!

This could take a while... I would suggest just formatting the HD if you don't have the time, and have a backup of it (before the failure).

JigPu

Back