• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optimum Page file location

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

Where is the best place to put a winxp page file---on the fastest disk or the disk with the least activity?

C: drive = RAID 0, 120 meg/s

D: drive = WesternDigital, 54 megs/s (used for backups only)

I mainly use my C: drive for large file intensive projects. Although C: is faster it is busy moving other files and paging will mainly take place during editing and loading files for edits. Since D: is on a separate IDE interface it's almost like having a 2nd RAID, one disk doing paging and the other doing file work.

or both?
i've got 5 HDs with a 300MB swap each. i dont really know if this is much benefit, but i think i remember reading a thread where theoretically it was a good idea.

I would say a static page file on the fastest drive. since pagefile acts as memory(seek times, not bandwidth) I think you'd be better off on the backup drive, though. I don't think a pagefile is going to utilize the raid, especially if you had a gig.

Back