• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MOD for desktops to become Mobiles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, read the article and this is my conclusion:
Putting an XPM into a desktop makes sense because lower watts+less heat=massive overclocking.
Putting an XP desktop proc into a laptop is just doing the reverse of the above, which serves what purpose? To say it can be done? To get a higher PR rated chip into a laptop??

Very interesting, but stupid.

....I just saw toms hardware call the slk800a "low end" compared to a zalman 7000Cu. Maybe low end in cost, but far from low end in qualiity and ability

There are many problems in that article, like mobile chips being much smaller than desktop chips. While there are some that are much smaller, mine is the same size. I have heard about this mod before, but I think it only works on via chipsets.

In other words, completely worthless for overclockers. Honestly though, what's the point of underclocking something to 300mhz? Setting a record for underclocking! Great, unfortunately, however, AMD already showed an athlon running at that speed, it's called the Geode. Ya, I really do not like Tom's hardware guide, but whatever, however I don't see too many people really worrying about modding into a mobile, as a pure bread mobile will offer much better overclocking due to the binning than adding multipliers.

Nothing particularily new in that article ... people have been doing this for close to a year now, and it was known what to do right back in the Palomino days (though there was no reason to do it back then). The main reason to do this is that if you live outside the US, it's very hard or impossible to get mobile Athlon XPs. For example, here in New Zealand, a Barton 2600 (which is cheaper than a 2500, ironically enough) costs around $NZ130. Since there's no local retailer who sells mobile CPUs, the only option is to order it in from overseas (and even that isn't easy as very few retailers will do international orders). Last time I checked, this would have cost in the order of $NZ300. I kid you not.

So, if you're wanting to have a mobile-like chip for power-saving reasons, then filling the bridges is your only option. Also, if you want to run a modern chip at its full potential in older boards, then you need to mobilise the chip to be able to use non-stock multipliers. This particularily applies to dual Athlon boards, which are limited to a 150MHz FSB or lower.

theMonster said:
Ok, read the article and this is my conclusion:
Putting an XPM into a desktop makes sense because lower watts+less heat=massive overclocking.
Putting an XP desktop proc into a laptop is just doing the reverse of the above, which serves what purpose? To say it can be done? To get a higher PR rated chip into a laptop??

Very interesting, but stupid.

isn't this mod all about unlocking desktop chips???

oc_byagi said:
isn't this mod all about unlocking desktop chips???
I found this nearly a year ago. THG simply put it on their website, used my chipset registers info and description of the problem and "forgot" to mention source of that info. Answer to your question:

1. It is useful on superlocked CPUs because this way you can change multiplier even on those. FSB, however, is still a limit.

2. You can control max. performance and that is also max thermal power with this. For example difference between 2000 and 1000 MHz at full load can be more than 10 degrees Celsius.

But... what is important - with this you do not alter idle power consumption (eg. what is the most important factor for silent PC in night, for notebooks ect.). That is because normal situation is CPU is in Stop Grant state (when it is not disabled and it isn't on most of newer boards) and it's frequency is reduced to much lower values than 300 MHz. For idle power reduction you would need SoftVIDs to be supported by motherboard but as I do not know of any such a mobo...

Back