• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone use Phat Linux XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

hey guys. stumbed across this cd on ebay (ill post a link later im on my mac ) and it was for Phatlinux XP ...which is basically like Topologilinux (or is it the new name for it?)

in short, it creates a folder on your hard drive a couple gigs in size and boom theres your linux install. NO partitioning.

im currently using yoper now...with minor issues...but just curious to know if anyone has tried this out

http://www.xplinux.biz/phat_linux.htm

looks pretty interesting, but after you install it you wont be able to write to a NTFS partition

also it looks like it requires a boot cd to boot to the phat linux

i really dont see any big plus that would make me use it

i mean if you just want to try linux you can just use a livecd (which is simpler)

and if you want a regular install of linux, obviously putting it on its own partition makes it easier to manage(dont have to worry about NTFS write support, things in windows overwriting your linux files, etc ) , and you wont need a boot cd each time you start up

it is definitely a bad idea to currently let any linux kernel write to a ntfs partition. it would be better for you to simply use systemrescuecd to resize your ntfs partition, and let linux install on your now free space. that way to can keep them separate.

Back