• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 733: Max Voltage and Slockets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Storm

Hi guys.

I brought a cc0 stepping Celeron 733 to play with yesterday. I wanted a 700 really but no one had any so this had to do and it was very cheap. Luckily, the code is: Q119A026-0263 SL4P7... so it's not too bad, week 19, cc0 stepping etc. I've got it on an Abit BF6 mobo, Alpha PEP66 cooler, okish case coolin but a £5 PC Chips Slocket (I know I know.. hehe)

Anyways, I got it to 1100MHz on the cheapo slocket but it locks up in games. Anyways... I tried 1.9v but haven't tried higher yet - would you recommend going higher with the VCore? If it needed 1.95v long term would you use that? At the mo it's running 1080MHz, 1.9v, max temp under load is 42c so it's not too high. I'm using Arctic Silver 1 thermal paste.

Also, do you think a posh slocket will help to achieve higher speeds? I had an IWill Slocket II but I sold it when I sold my old FC-PGA PIII 650 which went to 820. I then borrowed a friends PIII 500 whilst I saved for a PIII 750 cc0 but I ran outta cash! My mate had his CPU back yesterday hence this purchase.

I have a Millenium Glaciator cooler to put on it too but I wanna get something to stabilise it on the chip 1st tho like the feet on TBIRDS incase it munches the core cuz it's HEAVY!!

Anyway cheers for any input :)

Hi Storm,
to fix safely the cooler on your chip I suggest you to create 4 pads on the chip corner made with many layer of isulating tape, on my chip with Pep seems to work properly. About the Vcore, well your temps are good to try 1.95, but is my personal point of view :D

Your cCO has a default Vc of 1.7 so if we take the general 'safe' OC rule of 10-15% you can give your chip 1.87 to 1.95Vc. With that Alpha 1.95Vc shouldn't be a problem. I ran mine at 1.95Vc for quite a while. And in fact I believe running at those higher voltages got me where I am now cuz after months of tweaking she's finally stable at a speed I like (PCI and IDE nice in spec. just like your OC right now) and at a lower voltage as well! I never noticed the chip had degraded when backing down to a lower FSB and lower voltage. (some people have reported that their chips wouldn't run at default speed with default voltage anymore after OCing with a high Vcore) However I do believe that around 1100Mhz your chip is at it's limit, so 1080 is some sweet OC with a 11x multiplier! My Celeron boots @ 1120 and runs Windows a few minutes at 1104 but that's with 1.95Vc and it's just not getting stable. I wouldn't risk anymore voltage upping.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies :)

Yea I think I'll try 1.95v later... and get a better slocket if I can find one cheaply (as this "upgrade" has to stay a budget one... I wanna go AMD sooner or later for a change) and try for 1200MHz :) Wouldn't be bad on a cheapo CPU, specially one with a stupid 11x multiplier! lol...

Cheers guys :)

Back