• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best setup for 3dmark 01, 03 & 05

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

William.E

What are the tips and tricks for benchmarking with each of the 3dmarks, like what is the best drivers (ATI) to use with each, and ive just read that fast writes should be disabled for 2001, is this the same for 03 & 05? Does rage 3d tweak help, ive used it before and it had options that were not available in the control panel but i dont know if its useful for benchmarking or is there something else that is used? Is there a guide anywhere?

Thats a big question:D

01 likes fast system, low latency, and big card clocks.

01 & 05 likes big card clocks and lotsa pipes. Only one test is affected by faster system speed, so they are focused mainly on the graphics card. Thats why many people do not care for these two benchmark tests as they don't really test overall system gaming performance.

Tweaking? Lots to cover there. Yes there are guides in fact you can check the more or less defunct team website here for tweaks. The main recommendations are to run windows 2000+DX 8.1 for 01. The newer (ATI at least), drivers are performing on par or better than the good scoring previous CAT drivers, I like the 4.9's myself.

03 & 05 prefer XP with DX9. Fresh OS installs always score higher. Couple of the newer things I have heard are to run A.I. high, and tweak ram timings with ATI Tool. I have never disabled fast writes for '01.

Good luck in your quest:D

I hate to ask, but what is A.I? b.t.y, your scores on 9500, nice, :burn: shuting down any backround programmes running helps i read, but what about processes, shut any down that you can? or is that a bad idea? or are there just some you should avoid?

I honsetly don't know what the hell A.I. is, I think it's a new feature in ATI's control panel that will disable a certian % of shaders thus improving performance without killing image quality. Difference between ATI and nVidia is ATI is up front about it and builds it into the CP. nVidia just did it without saying anything so it was deemed a cheat.

I have never seen any improvement by slimming sys proceses myself, but if you wanna try that, msconfig is the easiest way to do it. Just start in diagnostic mode, then re-boot. If you are on win2000 it can be copied into winnt directory from XP, or found on web. type msconfig on run line

Back