• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guidelines for Thorough Stability Testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ian, can you add CPUBurn to the list?
IMHO all burn-in programs (CPUBurn, Toast etc) are not stability programs.
Of course any flaky machine will crash running a program but if it passes a burn-in process this does mean that it is stable.
I added some information on PSU integrity, testing PSU voltage rails
Very nice cos I always measure PSU and mainboard voltages (Vcore, Vdimm chipset).

first off great guide...

just a quick observation i ran across that might help someone else if they run into a similar problem.

i recently put the system in sig together and this weekend just was able to run the big 3 stress tests (all at stock speed) , all went well until 3dmark01 - it kept either freezing or just shutting down on the 2nd time in the nature test....

i panicked a bit at first thinking i had finally been unlucky and gotten a bad part until i remembered i had installed the nvidia beta 163.44 drivers (which are recommended for running bioshock) hoping this was the problem i uninstalled them and put in the 162.18 official non beta drivers and since then ive run the 3dmark loop for 4 hours with no problem.

Awesome guide, i read it all. I am going to be building a system soon, so knowing how to stability test will be good.

say i just overclocked my computer for the first time, should i run prime95 first? then what? then what? whats the right order to go in? does failing prime 95 mean that i would have to adjust voltages, or what?

say i just overclocked my computer for the first time, should i run prime95 first?
Generally speaking I found CPU limits first. Thus I run programs such as Prime95 and then I check RAM stability.
But RAM modules must be 10000000% stable; that's why I use RAM dividers and terrible timings (I describe them in Guidemania).
then what? then what?
Actually Prime95 (cos stretches RAM & CPU) is enough.
does failing prime 95 mean that i would have to adjust voltages, or what?
In most cases yes.

Great guide! ive been looking for something like this.

The only problem I have is that when I download Prime95 I dont see the "password" setting under Advanced. And supposedly I downloaded the latest version, is this normal?

Thanks a lot.

Great guide! ive been looking for something like this.

The only problem I have is that when I download Prime95 I dont see the "password" setting under Advanced. And supposedly I downloaded the latest version, is this normal?

Thanks a lot.

same here, what i do is set the priority inside task manager and change it to realtime. The same process with 3dmark. Dont know if it does make a difference, will it?

Does anyone have an updated version of the "guide to sability testing" that started this post in 2004?

I have just built my new rig and it crashes spradically when doing nothing. All at standard specs, i dont overclock yet as i dont know how :)
Thanks
Rid details:
RAM 8097MB PC310600 - Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600CP *xmp*
MOBO Asus P8Z68-V PRO
CPU INTEL i5 2400 (using cooler that came with it - which seems fine so far, but I do have a spare Antec 25 Kuhler H2O 620 ready to go if required!)
GPU None installed - using onboard MOBO GPU
HD 500G SATA3 Seagate ST500dm002
PSU Cooler Master GX 550W Bronze
Network Netgear wireless N300 USB

p.s. I have ran Memtest86 v4.0aand got some problems as posted here: http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/5...-but-no-apparent-errors?p=4783555#post4783555
When run over night the screen filled with strange chararecters. It all worked fine with Memtest86+ v4.2, ran 24 hours, 20 passes without an error.

Currently running Prime95, have been for 4 hours and CPU running at 68C with core voltage a near constant 1.256v
Dont know if thats a good or bad thing!

But an updated stability guide would be very helpfull :)

RAM 8097MB PC310600 - Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600CP *xmp*
MOBO Asus P8Z68-V PRO
CPU INTEL i5 2400 (using cooler that came with it - which seems fine so far, but I do have a spare Antec 25 Kuhler H2O 620 ready to go if required!)
GPU None installed - using onboard MOBO GPU
HD 500G SATA3 Seagate ST500dm002
PSU Cooler Master GX 550W Bronze
Network Netgear wireless N300 USB

Very, very, very useful especially to all new to overclockers (including myself) who wants a stable, error-free, overclocked system for 24/7 use. Nice one m8! :thup:

Hi
i´m a DJ and I value stability over everything.
2x years after release, my dell XPS 15 9560 still has BSOD once in a while (all updates were applied)

QUESTION: what do you think about OVER-volting my i7 7700HQ + and disabling turbo boost etc, to run at base speed only?
would this be more stabler?

thank you

BSOD can happen due to a number of things, not just cpu. You can get a crash due to bad driver, certain components not fully compatible, or ram instability. Overheating can also cause problems.

Back