Problem getting files after windows reinstall

I just formated my friends POS dell using the system disc this thing came with. Thing was flooded with spyware and what not, so I figured just format this thing and just resend the files that she sent me to hold onto so they arent lost.

Heres the thing though, I was not able to get windows to delete the partition and format the drive completely. I ended up just reinstalling windows, and I think I may have switched to NTFS while the system was still FAT. Now the drive has the same ammount of disc space left, and I cant find the files she needs on the drive anywhere. A few were found but the majority isnt there.

Im getting pissed off that I cant figure this crap out, oh and I hate dells too cause this thing is slow.

bump, anyone?

It depends on how important the files are, and if she's willing to pay.

Head over to Tucows.com. Windows>System and Untilities>File Tools>File Recovery.

For the life of me, I can't remember which ones I liked and disliked. Most offer a free trial though, but require purchasing before allowing you to save files. One of the programs actually found some files that were lost 2 or 3 partitions ago. I was quite impressed.
    P4 3.0 @ 3.45GHz
    P4C800-E w/ SP-94 and 92mm modded Tornado
    2 GB Mushkin Extreme Performance 3-4-4-8 @ 230 MHz
    Gigabyte X800 XT VIVO
    1150GB of storage... 1.15 TB Baby!