• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good buy for first AMD setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Osirus

looks good

if you want to save some money you can go with a 3000+, thats the only reason though otherwise I'd stick with the 3200+. They'll probably overclock to somewhere in the same area but the 3200+ will give you more options as far as multipliers are concerned.

over at anandtech they recently tested some 90nm chips, got them up to 2.6 ghz :) the 3500+ and the 3000+ both got to the same max oc, the 3000+ just needed a bit more juice to do it.

Very nice info.. great review, Im using a WC setup, so cooling really isnt a issue.
I might buy the 3000+ then.
How is the Neo2 board though?

The 3000+ is the way to go, you'll get the same performance out of less money. As for the board, if you want, go for the NEO2, its probably the best of the bunch next to the top line Gigabyte, but if you can wait a little bit (maybe two weeks?), the nforce4's will be out and moderately priced w/ wireless lan built in, 4gb max ram, and of course PCI-E capability....

well the thing is, I sold my Intel CPU/MOBO setup on ebay, so I need to ship that, which means pulling down my system and shipping it.

I think Ill go with the 3000+ and the Neo2. I would wait for the new nf4, but Ill wait till all the bugs are worked out.

Ive heard that Geil doesnt play well with AMD 64's. If thats the case, Ill have to buy some more ram.

Osirus said:
Well I just bought the A64 3000+ s939 chip and the Neo2 to go with it. Cant wait till it gets here!
Well, you know the drill soldier. Once them parts are up and running let us know how she rips. That is all, carry on and dismissed! :)

Back