• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nixor

Registered
Looking to upgrade from an xp2400 to this. After reading many post (long time lurker) on this board i went with the following items. See any problems? What kind of overclock do you think I can get out of it with that motherboard? Any info on the ram? Seems like a good deal.

ZALMAN CNPS7000A-AlCu Aluminum + Copper CPU Cooler for AMD XP Socket 462/ 754 and Intel Socket 478 -RETAIL

$32.99

PDP SYSTEMS Memory Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB (512MBx2) DDR PC-3200, Model PDC1G3200LLK - Retail
Cas Latency: 2-3-2-5-T1
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Item# N82E16820220006

$197.99

ABIT "AI7" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
Item# N82E16813127164

$103.00

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - OEM
Item# N82E16819116163

$185.00

Extended Warranty Coverage
Extended Warranty: $ .00
Product total: $518.98
Enter Promotion Code: Shipping & Handling: $ .00
Total (Before tax): $518.98

Welcome to the Forum :beer: !!!

Pretty good setup btw....Yup the AI7 loves low latency rams..

What PSU will you be using?

Congrats!!!
Vflux

thanks for the welcome. I have the antec tb 480.

So no problems with that motherboard? on another forum, they said to steer away from it. But reading on here I see a lot of success stories.

nixor said:
thanks for the welcome. I have the antec tb 480.

So no problems with that motherboard? on another forum, they said to steer away from it. But reading on here I see a lot of success stories.

Coz they dont know how to clock the AI7, This board is a bit tricky when you're fiddling with your ram timings and GAT settings etc....But once ya got all that sort it out. It'll outperform most of the 875P mobos....BTW your board has a stable Vcore/Vdimm 3.2V functional..........Im sure you'll have a lot of fun clocking this board.......... :beer:

Enjoy,
Vflux

I have a 3.0C on an Abit AI7 and it does great. I love it (see my signature). But, I've never heard of that RAM. Abit can be a little picky about RAM sometimes. I would make sure there are no known RAM compatibility issues before buying it.

All right, probably going to switch to this ram.

Geil Ultra Series Dual Channel 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-4000 - Retail
Cas Latency: 2.5 7-4-4
Support Voltage: 2.6V-3.1V

Over kill? Do you have another suggestion? I would love to get it around 3.8 like yours.

Hey batboy, how does the LGA775 3.2 @ 3.9 compare to the P-4 3.0C @ 3.8, Abit AI7? I realize they have different video cards but if I were to put a x800pro and do the soft mod, do you think it will be comparable?

Well if you have not bought the board yet. You really shopuld cnsider the EPOX 4pda2+ver.2 Here is a link to a review. At the end of the review they are going top tell you that it is the best laid out, best featured Springdale board. And that it stands head and shoulders above all the other springdale boards. They will tell you what an overclocking monster it is!! That it has the highest V-Dimm voltage going right out of the box. That it's memory settings are very simple to understand!! Well here are 2 examples of the EPOX 4PDA2+Ver.2 at work!!
The first is with a 2.4C processor, 1 gig of OCZ PC4000 Gold Rev.2 mem . Well here have a look!
cooking.jpg

I ran Aquamark @ 3687 mhz. Most can't even windows to post at 307fsb!
Zilla2a.jpg

Check out that CPU score!! Here is the link:
http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=953933834

Now the board with a 3.0C chip installed!
cpu-zsandra.jpg

I can run much higher than this, however, I have to use my 5:4 divider which decreases overall peformance.
Well back to the topic. Is this to say that the Abit AI-7 is not a good board??
No!! I have built more than 50 systems the last 4 years 46 of them were on Abit mobos. This was my first Epox board. It is the absolute best board I have ever used.
Bar none. There that is my .02 worth.

WeldZilla

what do you think that heatsink i have listed will do? I'm looking to keep it quiet with an nice overclock.

Well I just thought I'd tell ya that the Zalman AlCu cooler is a pretty good HSF. It's a heavy sucker but keeps my cpu running at good temps, around 37c idle and 56c benchmarking. I oc'd my 2.8e prescott over 400mhz and it's stable.

The Zalman is one of the better ones for being quiet. It'll work good on a 3.0C.

My Prescott will edge out a Northwood at 3.8 gig, but it's not that big of a difference in most real world apps. Put a X800 on that sucker and you'll be smilin'. I have a 9800 Pro on my 3.0C system and it does real good.

Well I've gotten a little more $$ to play with so I've been trying to get the most bang for the buck. Here is what I've come up with so far. For the motherboard, I won't have to do a volt mod to get a high FSB will I? I've seen some boards require that. Trying to avoid it. I also want to get Dell's 2005FPW LCD. This setup should run games fine on that right?

Cooler Master Silver/Black CM Stacker ATX Full Tower Case, Model "STC-T01-UWK" -RETAIL

$159.50

Thermalright Heatsink for P4 & K8 CPUs, Heatsink Only, Model "XP-120" -RETAIL

$64.99

Patriot Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR PC-3200 w/ XBL Technology - Retail

$219.50

ABIT "IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU - Retail

$135.00

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.2E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail

$220.00

PowerColor ATI RADEON X800 XT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, DVI/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "R42-TVD3C/BULK" -OEM Bulk

$485.50

Total (Before tax): $1,284.49

Back