• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burn Out, what to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mc_hammer

Registered
I just burned out my 1.33 Athlon (by just being stupid). But anyway, I need a new CPU and my question runs like this: should I just get like a duron@800, OC it and wait for the Plamino's or just buy another 1.33 or 1.4 athlon and upgrade to a palmino later? I have a Gigabyte 7dxr MOBO w/ a AMD 761 chipset and I am told that it will support Palaminos (please correct me if I'm wrong). The only game I play is Counter-Strike, and I have a Hercules Prophet 4500 w/ 64MB. My 1.33 was turning out 60-70fps, will the Duron see much of a drop in CS at a 1152x864 resolution (21" monitor:D ). I will later upgrade to a GeForce3 and a Palamino when their prices become resonable, but I want to know if CS will run good @ this config. Well any help would be appreciated, and thanks!

that sucks dude-

given the current prices is it worth saving 20 bucks to force an overclock instead of getting the faster chip taht is faster than the overclocked chip and overclocking that chip???

I would personally go for the bigger chip - price does all the talking though - is it justifiable to you?

Price difference is more like 40-50 bucks. If fps is effected much then 50 bucks is worth it.

$50 is a drop in the bucket when you consider overall gains in performance

if you play at high res. then the cpu becomes less of a facter, since you mostly just game the duron oced to 1ghz or more should be fine, but if you got the money for the paly, it will kick some serious a** .

I guess, it will probably be a while until Palamino's drop to a reasonable price (in my mind) anyway. I guess the next question would be 1.4 or 1.33, lol. But $5 dollar difference will cut that argument short. Thanks for the opinion jbell.

Back