• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K8N-E Deluxe, 2 DIMMS != DDR400 Speeds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Know Nuttin

Hey all,

I have the K8N-E Deluxe and I've tried 2 sets of DIMM's in the board. Single DIMM = DDR400 speeds. 2 DIMM's = DDR333. Doesn't matter what slots they are put in, they drop to DDR333 speeds.

I've tried 2 sticks of Infineon PC3200 (Can't remember the numbers on the chips) and they ran fine in 2 separate nforce2 boards at DDR400 speeds DC.

I've also tried 2 sticks of Samsung PC3200 (one is TCCC, other is TCC4) and they do the same thing, drop to DDR333 speeds.

have the newest bios (1.005) but rev 1.004 of the board.

Currently, i have to run the board at HTT 3x, FSB 260, memory at 210 (because of the 5:6 divider).

Tested the TCC4 stick alone and it does 230mhz, 3-4-4-10-1T 2.7v.
TCCC only does 220mhz at the same timings.

Any clues?

I was contemplating selling these modules and getting 2 x 512mb Kingmax PC3700. Only thing that I'm weary of is if they will also drop to using a 5:6 divider, then it would be a waste of money.

Not to sure what the issue is for you on this board, but I'm running the 1005 bios and up untill two weeks ago I was running 2 Infinion 512MB PC3200 DDR400 modules and they were running at 2.5,3,3,7 with my system @ HTT 3, FSB 230, RAM set to 400...not going to devide for the 5:6.

I recently picked up a matched pair of Corsair TwinX 512MB pc3200 modules and I have had even better luck with their timings at 2,3,3,5.

It could be the high FSB is pushing the ram to hard. Is it worth the extra Mhz on the CPU at those FSB speeds to have to drop your memory timings as much as you are? Wouldn't you find overall system performance to be better with better timings and slightly lower FSB anyways? Correct me if I'm wrong.

My CPU a 3000+ maxes my FSB at 233 @ HTT3 though, can't seem to push past that point. even dropping the multiplier and I only get a couple 4-5 more points on my FSB and it goes all heywire again. :( was hoping to push past that, but I'm guessing my Zalman CNPS700A-CU just doesn't have enough ooomph past that point! I'm also not overvolting so that might make a difference.

ROH

Thanks for replying.

Even at stock 200 FSB, they run at DDR333 speeds. It's very strange. Only reason I have pushed my FSB speeds so high is so that I can at least have decent memory speeds.

have you tested to be sure those module are in fact running at that speed?
I was futzing around and in bios my system shows 200 on boot it shows 400 and in CPU-Z it shows it after a day of tweeking is 245Mhz. Which I'm told is a good thing..so it's currently equal to my FSB....so I"m guessing it's running at 490 total? could be wrong! :p

As well I'm told that you should disable the auto setting for the ram voltage and just set it to 2.7 you should see some improvements as well. Most of this ram runs around that range and some even runs at 2.8 which this board does not support. :( the ram I have is rated at 2.8Volts so I"m hoping ASUS makes a driver update that increases the RAM voltage...would love to be able to drop my timings back to the 2,3,3,5 as I had to shift my ram timings to 2.5,3,3,6 from the 2,3,3,5...but overall it seems to be doing pretty good.

still learning about all this funky overclocking stuff.

So, if your looking for someone to bounce ideas off of, keep posting. If you need specs or anything else regarding my setup let me know. Don't mind trying to help a fellow overclocker. :p

ROH

Yes, the modules are in fact running at DDR333 speeds when installed together. memory bandwidth tests verify my finding, as do SuperPi and Hexus PiFast results.

the startup screen is not what i pay attention to, it will only say at what speeds the ratio allows the memory to run at. with the DDR333 speed chosen, it will always say DDR333 on POST screen, even though they are now running at 212mhz.

Auto setting is off, and voltage is at 2.6.

No reason to go to 2.7v, since the setup is stable with 2.6v. Only thing that would result is the generation of more heat from the memory modules.

2.8v is supported if you have a newer version of the board. 1.005 i believe will get you 2.8v if you have the latest bios. 1.004 board does not have 2.8v support at the moment.

Know Nuttin, I'm having the same problems with my K8N-E (not deluxe). I can't get my memory to run over 166MHz for anything! Even when I got into the bios and manualy set it to 200MHz, when I go into windows and run CPU-Z or CPUID they both say the RAM is still running at 166MHz. So how in the world did you get your memory up two 212MHz?

Some boards have issue with so many banks of RAM. The Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro has a similar issue of not liking a certain number of banks. I don't know how many other boards suffer this drawback. A dud feature for some of the early nF3 boards.

My board runs at 166(333) no matter what the settings I manually set it at. When I had one 512 stick, 200 np. Add another stick, it is stuck at lower speeds and I am forced on a divider. I heard some of the older Buffalo sticks (I think are single sided) run normally.

Last edited:
Back