• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got new system, need help on RAID/Partitioning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

avesta

Just got my computer put together by a technician.
MSI K8N neo2
fx-53 s939
ati x800xt
2 x 74gb WD raptors in raid 0
1GB pc3200xl corsair

this computer will mostly be a gaming rig, and I want it optimized for gaming.

The technician said he installed the raid 0, but I want to know if I need to set up a stripe size or anything like that, and if I do,what should I set it up as?

As far as partitioning goes, im thinking of using one partition for OS, one for pagefile, and one other big partition for programs/games...how big should the OS partition be, and how big should the pagefile partition be?

Can someone guide me in the right direction for the stripe size as well....Thanks.

p.s. Ive read the stickies but couldnt come up with much useful info.

No, you do not need to set the stripe size once RAID 0 is used.

As for the partitions, it is your perference on how big you want it to be, and as for the swap file, make it 2-2.5x your physical ram. Eg, 1 gb ram = 2-2.5gb swap

kill me2 said:
No, you do not need to set the stripe size once RAID 0 is used.

What?
the stripe size is set when configuring the raid array for its first use. When you boot the PC it should display a raid utility briefly, hit the appropriate keys to enter the configuration and you should see the stripe size there.
rev-matrixraid-setup1.png

Back