• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PNY 6800GT Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haxor

Registered
Well I got me the Gf 6800GT and it won't seem to install into my system down below in my sig. It doesn't get detected by Windows or the PNY CD, well I tried 3 or 4 times also Safe mode, but no luck.

I tried updateing them by myself and the driver doesn't install it just goes from 1% to 100% without stopping to install it in. I don't know whats up. But my old video card the 5950U seems to work fine and also it shows up in the install cd.

Well I know for a fact that the video card works cause I tried it out on my shuttle system and it all works fine but the power supply is only 250watt and don't know if it will fully work, but it installs and everything.

Please someone with a light of help try to get me in the 6800 Club so I can see how far my puppy can overclock. I have tried alot and it doesn'r install at all I dunno whats up with it.

The fact is that your PSU may be the problem. 6800GT do need some power. However, some of the guys still manage to run the vid card in some small unit like yours. I will say first of all, download the latest driver from Nvidia or PNY. Then uninstall your driver. I will also recommend you to use Nasty file remover to remove the remaining Nvidia files, so you can have a clean installation. Reboot your computer, and let it detect the card. finally, go ahead and install that driver.

I just have the bad feeling that your PSU may be your problem. good luck to you and let me know how it works out.

Hey this is for my Intel computer not my Shuttle Box, it has a 400W PSU is that enough?? Or Should I go and get a better one?

MSI 865PE Neo2 Mobo
Intel P42.8ghz 533
1gig PNY Ram
160gig HD Maxtor

Sorry for misunderstanding. Since you tested it in the Shuttle, this means that you have a 100% fine working card. As for your PSU, 400W Generic MAY be a problem, but we won't know until you change your PSU. However, there is also a chance that your AGP slot could be bad too. Did you test your intel board with other AGP card and make sure it is running fine? Did you update the latest driver for your chipset for your mobo? Is your CPU overclocked, or stock? If it is overclocked, you may have the power problem we mentioned earlier.

The first thing I recommend is download the latest chipset drivers for your mobo. If that didn't work, get another AGP card and test to see the slot is fine. Then finally, go to your local computer store and get a better power supply. If your CPU is overclocked, downclock back to stock first and see if that helps. Otherwise, I am out of ideas also.

u could also unplug all non-esential items like extra harddrives optical drives etc then test it.............if power is the problem then that might free some up.........for some reason i dont think its power though.........something feels fishy

good luck

I had some similar problems installing my PNY. What fixed it for me was to go into control panel and uninstall the prior drivers before pulling the old vid card out and putting the new one in.

About your Abit NF 7 board, how did you manage to fry it?
I'm getting the board in around 10 days and hoping to push my processor all the way up to 2.7 quite possibly.

Now you've got me worried. Did you have good cooling?

baberpervez said:
About your Abit NF 7 board, how did you manage to fry it?
I'm getting the board in around 10 days and hoping to push my processor all the way up to 2.7 quite possibly.

Now you've got me worried. Did you have good cooling?

I do have good cooling. My case has 1 80mm intake fan directly over the CPU, 1 80 mm exhaust fan, and 1 120mm exhause fan. I am cooling my CPU with the SP27 with the hair dryer vantec tornado.

Frankly speaking, I don't know if I really fried my board. Nothing is burned in my mobo, if that is what you are asking. however, my board was a refurbish item from newegg. That could be the problem in the first place.

Back