• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best place to place a 20GB 5400 drive on a 160GB 7200 system...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yamiyanazz

Here is how I currently have my computer set up.

IDE 1
Master: Maxtor ATA-133 7200RPM 160 GB HDD
Slave: None

IDE 2
Master: NEC ATA-(33?) DVD+RW ND-2510A
Slave: None

I have a 20 GB ATA-100 5400 drive that I want to install linux on to make my system dual boot without having to touch my 160GB partitions. My question is where would be the best place to put this item? I don't want to slow it all the way down to ATA-33, but would it hinder my 160's power very much if I put it ion that line? I've searched google and the forums and I'm sure it's really simple, but I can't seem to find it.

Are you talking about psu power? If so, what psu (and wattage) do you have? If its a decent psu with more then 350w, id say you are fine connecting the drive to either.

If you are talking about the ide cable, then having the two hdds on the same ide cable would be fine because you would only be using one of the drives at a time... since you are thinking of putting Linux on the smaller drive.

I have a fortron 350, so I'm not worried about power. My question related more to will it make my 7200 drive only spin at 5400 or run at ata-100 speeds? I've heard things saying it does and things saying it won't effect it at all. That is why I'm so confused on the issue. Bassically, where should I put it where it won't hurt my master-drive speeds?

Back