• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Widnows Protection Error???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HaTE

my brother bought my mom a new scanner for her birthday, well the scanner got here today, so i hooked everything up and now when i boot the computer i get the windows 98 loading screen then and black screen comes up saying "Windows Protection Error, You need to restart your computer, press any key to restart" if i hit any key nothing happens, the computer is able to boot in safemode, but not normal windows, i removed the usb2 pci card i put in her computer for the scanner, but i still get the error, so can anyone tell me why im getting this or how to fix it? i change hardware in her computer all the time and i've never gotten this error before.

You've got a corrupted .dll, probably happened when the scanner software overwrote something. Like Win 2000 or XP files overwrote the 98 files. Your best bet is to ditch 98 and upgrade (for the love of GOD, don't get ME). Conversely, you can reinstall 98 because it didn't tell you specificly which .dll it was, but reinstalling the scanner may biff it up again.

Back