• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drive displays as used 23 gig after fresh isntall?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CordialSpam

My HD says it is used 23 gigs of space and so far it is a compelte format and fresh install xp pro..there are only 3 folders in my C..and total used up about 2 gigs..but it says it is used 23 gigs..is this normal? It is NTFS btw, I just convereted fat32 to NTFS..

All I have right now is 3 folders in it..Doc and Settings, WIndows, and Program files folder..I've checkeed both and all of them combined is not even 2 gig..

Or does ntfs eats up 15% or so of the space? this is my first time using NTFS..

What 's FS error? Btw I just took a screenshot of it.

untitled542.jpg

By any chance do you have at least SP1 installed? It looks like you might be having issues with the 48bit LBA. If you look at it, you have 149GB of space:

149GB
-128GB limit of non 48bit LBA
=21GB Unusable space if you dont have 48bit LBA
+3GB for clean XP install

So roughly 24GB used space. Can you follow that? I hope?

You can make a new install disk with the needed sp slipstreamed into it or you could use DOS fdisk to create a smaller OS partition leaving the rest blank,install the needed SP's and then format the rest within windows.

Yes, NTFS/XP uses a certain percentage of the drive for "System File Protection". By default it is in the 15% vicinity afaik

Back