• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hdd locking up comp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fccdj

ok i have a Maxtor 160gb sata hdd and a a7n8x deluxe e mobo

whenever i plug my 160gb hdd in my computer posts fine and detects the hdd but when it come to the screen where the windows loading bar should be all i have is just a blank screen i've looked in my bios and i cant find anything wrong and the hdd works in my friends comp

what do u think is my problem is it my hdd or my mobo or some stupid thing i've done plz help thanks in advance

o sry :bang head my boot order is
1. cd-rom
2. hdd-0
3. floppy

i have an option that allows me to chose scsi or sata boot and i have tried it on both and the same thing happens

fccdj said:
o sry :bang head my boot order is
1. cd-rom
2. hdd-0
3. floppy

i have an option that allows me to chose scsi or sata boot and i have tried it on both and the same thing happens

Some guesses:

-2nd drive has the wrong jumper setting

-2nd drive is set as active when it shouldn't be

-you didn't wait long enough at the blank screen for an error message (5 minutes)

2nd drive isn't plugged in properly

well sence its my only sata hdd it should have no jumpers (thats what it says on it) what do u mean set as active?
im pretty sure its plugged in right ill try again and let it set for 5 + minutes to see if i get an error and post back thanks

fccdj said:
well sence its my only sata hdd it should have no jumpers (thats what it says on it) what do u mean set as active?
im pretty sure its plugged in right ill try again and let it set for 5 + minutes to see if i get an error and post back thanks

Only one drive in a system can be "set as active" and if you have two drives like that then the system won't boot. So when you partitioned the drive, did you set it as active?

wait... do you hear any faint-sounding beeps? Or clicking? And does your PSU have a SATA connector or are you using a 4 pin-SATA converter???

no i dont heart any sounds from it and my psu dosnt have a sata connector
i dont use any converters i just use a 4 pin molex connector

i tried using partition magic 8 bootable floppies and my computer locked while loading from them so i tricked my computer i unplugged the sata cable and when the windows boot screen i plugged it back in and my computer found then i used PM 8 to format it but when i restarted my computer it did the same thing

do u all think i should rma the hdd and get a new one or keep trying to fix it?

Back