• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where To Install Programs When More Than 1 HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kj4ta

I just recieved a new 160GB HD to go along with my 80GB HD. I want to install WinXP Pro on the 80GB or drive "C". I think that is best... (???)

Now, when I go to install a game or other program, where is it best to install it? On the 160GB (drive "D") ? How do I tell the program to intall it there? and will it still show up in my start menu when I do intall it to the "D"?

when you install the program, it will usually ask you where you wish to install it to.

yes, it will show up in your start menu.

Depends on the drives themselves, the 160gb may be faster than the 80gb. model numbers on both?

I like to keep games/apps on one drive, but I would recommend putting the page file on another drive. Keep a small one on your OS partition, and a bigger one on another hard drive. Of course, results vary with each config and people have different opinions, which are all valid.

Thanks.
Would you put programs like Office on the "C" drive? And put games and stuff on the "D" drive?

Ohh, I forgot to ask, is there a way to have or put the "My Documents" folder on the "D" drive. The reason I ask is because I like to store lots of stuff there and would not like it to fill up on the "C" drive.

Thanks in advance. :)

I actually put most apps on C:\. Even most of my games.

I use other partitions for backing up, downloads, etc.

to change the location of your mydocuments folder, right click on the icon on your desktop, choose properties, then click on "move" or enter the location you want it to have on your D:\

Back