• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think: Advertising invasion!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What do you think of the text adds

• Total voters

JaY_III

Senior of BX
I cant stand Pop-ups
If a website needs adds to pay the bills thier are other way to go about doing it other than pop-ups. Myself, they will be blocked as i have a very hard time reading the front page with pop-ups poping up while i move my cursor over text as i read.

Add more banners, even a banner that always stay at the top of the page is better as I can still read the text.

A pay-pal donate button would also work. I have donated money to overclockers.com a few times before and if they are having problems, i would do it again. But pop-ups one the main page.... not cool

I moved to Firefox specifcally for this reason.

No ads, popups etc etc.

Also, supposedly better security, faster browsing, tabbed browsing, there's just more features. I also love the abillity to put all your fav bookmarks in the navigation bar!

What more could you want?

I noticed the highlighting links. Annoying but I just keep my mouse from hovering over the text. :D

As for the popups, never noticed we had any (Firefox) but I still hate them.

I'd donate money to Overclockers if they need help to keep going with less ads. I'd rather see more banners instead.

Then again, I can't remember the last time I clicked on ANY banner ad ever.

Hehe the ingame ad...

http://www.adsingame.com/

i beta tested these and ran them a couple times in a league i was helping. originally called "runningmann technologies"

they tend to distract from the game lol... really i missed some kills and died cuz i was lookin at the ads hhaha

oh yeah im against popups/unders/banners or what not but,... if advertising didnt work then why do people spend thousands of dollars on it? which means that those advertisings do work... i had a friend who clicked every banner that poped up and i had to reformat his hd to get rid of everything he picked up

Non moving banners are ok. Provided there aren't more then 2 or 3 on a page, and they aren't in the middle of content.

Animated ads and ads in the middle of content I block immediately.

People who use pop-ups /pop-unders should never be allowed to code another line of HTML.

People who use flash ads that cover content, make noise, are animated and can’t be closed should never be allowed to touch a computer again.

Advertisements in a game are downright asinine. I play games to get away from reality. I don't want the scummiest parts of reality (advertisements) intruding on my gaming experience. I don't even want product placement in my games.

Someone has to put a stop to advertisers. It's getting out of hand. They're everywhere, and I feel like in 5 years I'll be living in the Philip K **** story Sales pitch, where advertisements (both visual and audio) are beamed directly in to your brain, and robots come to your home to sell themselves and will not leave until you buy them.

EDIT: Just the other day I was on the subway staring out the window like I normally do, to avoid the awkward staring at someone you don't know thing. Suddenly, there's an ad for Target on the wall, animated by use of the train’s movement and a strobe light! Can't I even stare at the wall of a dark tunnel without having ads pushed at me!?!!??oen :mad: :mad:

haha.. you should go hiking or something.. or live in village or mountain like i do..
smile_china.txt

I don't know about you guys but I have never seen a popup AD for the front page (except for flash player 7 which is required for some flash images on the page, but a leet overclocker would allready have flash installed and thus never see this). again like others i am using firefox... as for the highlighted text i thought that was a great idea to raise a little extera money and the text will never take you to the advertized link unless you click on them. Besides that one of the links interested me to click on it and took me to a good ram review which I found pretty relevant to the overclockers.com main page.

If there are popups that are getting through to IE users those popups need to be rid of as soon as possible... I often look at popups as a CREDITABILITY sort of thing where you question wheather or not the site's goal is to provide information or make some quick cash... I also automatically associate popups with spyware... basically if people notice popups on the front page it is going to drive them away... I allready have the link to newegg through the front page bookmarked whenever i go there and that is a great way to raise some funds for the site.

where i stand...

Hyperlinked green text---> Great Idea
Popups on front page (If we have any) ----> get rid of em.

*edit* I diden't see the flash thing on my rig, it was a school comp... and I know it's spelled 1337.... sorry had to defend my 1337|\|355 :)

Last edited:
eh, im sorry. i find out that this is most likely a spyware/malware on my system. i believe the ocforums doesn't do this kind of annoying features or scans my system without my permision. we'll do spyware removing now... :)

Back