• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Nameless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

nameless mod

Well, I just wanna give you guys a heads up that I'm going to be starting something nice really soon. I'm going for clean, quiet, and keeping performance. This will be a simple project however the end result should be stellar.

What's going in:
matx case (just wait)

Maxtor Diamondmax9 60gb
Maxtor Diamondmax9 160gb
Western Digital 36g raptor x2

Plextor Plexwriter Premuim
Pioneer DVR-A06
Memorex dvd-rom maybe

DFI Infinity A+
2x 512mb Mushkin level 2 pc3500
Radeon 9800 Pro 128
Audigy 2 non-zs
Antec True480
Generic 300 - I think

Dtek Whitewater
Dangerden Maze4 gpu possibly modded to 4-1 with 176w tec if I can find some bolts that will fit
Dangerden Zchip
6x6 chevette core
3-342 with fiberglass (hint)
Hydor L301
Danner Supreme Mag 3

plus some other stuff...

Keep your eyes open and give me a name. "The Plain Mod" just sounds, well, plain.

fudge, just lost a lot of post. I hate my sisters keyboard, it's all gay layed out. There's a page back and foreward NEXT to the arrow keys and the keys are set down a row so instead of hitting left, I hit page back and lose everything...

My Infinity showed up a day early which is nice. My case was due in today but my mate who ordered it is at work until close so I won't see it until tomorrow. I have some red temp sensor'd led fans due tomorrow too. They are ~35cfm@27dba and temperature controlled. I'll probably run them at 5 or 7v.

I am still looking for a pump. I have found a mag 7 at amdmb for 40 shipped but the seller won't reply to my pm. Here, I have found two mag 3's for 90+ shipping or 45+s a piece... I hope I can talk the seller down a little bit.

If any one is interested, I have an old infinity for sale. It did [email protected] 3.3 with everything in my sig on the 1/31 bios. I'd like 70 shipped for it. I also have a RIP nf7-s that I'd like to get 15+shipping for. If anyone would be interested, they could buy me the two pumps off of the member here and they'll get my infinity + paypal the difference or some other nice stuff including sdram, some hard drives, maybe a couple vhs tapes, some software (pm for details), maybe a dvd-rom if I can't fit it, an old semi-working laptop, etc.

I just now thought of a name. What I'm going for is class and elegance while not breaking my bank account since it has probably $10 in it and a $270 paycheck I keep forgetting to cash. The name will be $t:1e.

Oh, and there's no more fiberglass. Instead there will be two custom shrouds which will be nice.

Fans are here - testing in a minute and then I'm going to burn up those athy clasics. The case SHOULD be here today but the kid is working until 11 and I don't feel like going out that late. I will definately get some pics tomrorow 'cause it's going to be maddness.

Arg, I didn't get my case until 1:30 am and then I got pulled over by the cops. I ran out of gas. Luckily they didn't turn me in for kerfew violation (11pm) and instead gave me a ride 1/2 mile down the street to a gas station...

I am going to start the standard mods, cutting out stock grills, etc. I gotta get a camera.

Ok dudes and dudets, wasnt sure where to post my project, but this seems like a nice place, this also being a nameless project... Dont think this thing is gonna take any attention off your project Pat... but sorry if I stole a spot here....

And forgive my extremely well formulated english, Im a Viking.

Been working on this baby for.. well, for ever. But dont expect anything real fancy with neon and all that stuff. This case used to be a Aopen HQ45. As you can see Ive modified it some. Its a simple-to-work-in little case.

Started out making a new front for it, from fiberglass. Wanted it clean and neat, and it now shows watertemp., has USB and firewire, and I did the invisible CD-ROM thing that Ive seen around here at ocforums. Also painted it black, but dont have pics of that.

Point here is noisereduction so, watercooled the CPU, GPU and NB.
Couldnt afford all this, so I made the GPU and NB blocks from chuncks of copper at work. Drilled them out so the water sort of moves in an N shape, and threaded all the "tunnels" to increase the internal area. Also from work I got a hold of pneumatic "hoses" and fittings, that seemed perfect for the job. Flow through these is actually really good!

So as you can see, the GPU and NB are connected and make out the "secondary" or parallell run or whatever. Just cut off part of a pneumatic fitting, so it was as angled as possible, but still left a thread or two, screwed it into the main hose, and put some silicone around ut. This run has its own return to the tank.

Made the tank from an electrical box, siliconed some holes that were used for the wiring, and drilled some new ones for the pump. Its an Eheim 1048 thats submerged in there.

Also a pic of the 12v controlled 230V relay that starts the pump when the PS starts. Love that thing, no manual switch.
Note the CMOS reset switch Ive also mounted, so easy instead of fiddling with that jumper.

Did I forget anything... probably...

Attachments

• Kabinett forfra2.JPG
    Kabinett forfra2.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 402
  • sideview2.JPG
    sideview2.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 370
  • tank2.JPG
    tank2.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 329
  • CPU&NB2.JPG
    CPU&NB2.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 335
  • relayclose2.JPG
    relayclose2.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 326
pwnt by pat said:
Arg, I didn't get my case until 1:30 am and then I got pulled over by the cops. I ran out of gas. Luckily they didn't turn me in for kerfew violation (11pm) and instead gave me a ride 1/2 mile down the street to a gas station...

I am going to start the standard mods, cutting out stock grills, etc. I gotta get a camera.

why were you pulled over??

Bob, go for it, mate.

I was already pulled over on a major road - rt 19. I couldn't start my car 'cause there was no gas. They decided to stop in and see how I was doing.

Fudge ME!

I ordered the 2-342 yesterday. I'm getting ready to send the seller of a mag 7 a check as soon as I get an addy. The fiberglass is back on thank's to greenman. I sent payment for 4 sanyo denki's a couple of hours ago.

Like I said, I've went ahead with some basic mods. I had to scrap the chevette core for a jr120. There just isn't enough room in my case as you'll see tomorrow, I promise. I have a camera coming to school for me tomorrow which I will bring home and take pictures ASAP after work... or at work, nah after.

Dan (pro*banshee): You like your new case?
Me: Yeah, it's actually really nice for only $25. It's really cramped already and I haven't put anything in it yet.
Dan: Well that's your job. To take the Midtower and make it look presentable. You're watercooling, right?
Me: Yeah, two loops. It's going to be really tight.
Dan: Yeah, that's cool.

I've been wanting to do something unique to the bottem of my case. I wanted to make the entire bottem of the inside of the case a mirror but upon further inspection, it's just not flat enough and too detailed a cutting job. It's not worth the time. I still want to make it stand out, any suggestions?

Vio1, I'm stealing your sheatmetal idea for along the 5 1/4 bay but I'm extending it across my hdd bays too.

Just to give everyone a general idea of what I'm working on, it's this:
11-156-019-12.JPG

11-156-019-09.JPG
11-156-019-08.JPG

You will probably see some if this along the way too:
DSC00012.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

I also decided that the drives will be stealthed as that looks just rad. I wanna get a temp probe for the fourth 5 1/4 slot. Any decent cheap ones?

Anyone know what I'll be doing with these? It's not for lengthening cables or making up for a psu's shortcoming.
pcloft_1810_596302

pcloft_1811_7368307

thats the exact raidmax that i got and the only gripe i have with it is the stupid 60mm fan in the back... but good luck and have fun modding...:D

Oooo! It's a mysteryyyyyyy. I have no idea what those ATX power cable extention thingies are for. The plan looks really nice, though. :)

Yeah. It honestly is a really really nice case for the price. My one gripe is the metal flake. I was hoping for solid silver. Oh well. The 60mm doesn't bother me as the only exhaust fans I'm using are the 120's for my jr120 at the top of the case.

Okay, here we go!

P1010012.JPG

First, the room 'cause rooms kick ***. Notice the z-680's and all the crap everywhere. Too bad theres a lot more strewn around the room. I know exactly where everything is too.

P1010014.JPG

Here's what my old wc loop looked like in my FS020. The pump is hiding behind the chevette rad. The loop went pump>rad>gpu>nb>t>pump. Doing this, I was able to get my 9800p to 450xstock. It benched at 455 but had slight artifacts on game 2/4.

I really like the layout of this and am going to try and do something similar yet different. I had to give it up though as I can only fit a chevette core in there and still keep my optical drives...

P1010020.JPG

This is the temp setup. Notice the psu NOT in the case. Oh well. Oh, it's a superpro case, the wide one. The thin Superpro is quite possibly the best case ever.

On a side note, does the Infinity A+ have soundstorm? I want to use the digital out on the board but I need the room in my new case below the vid card for the pump. The Audigy 2 is looking like it just won't fit. I'll make it fit if I have to but I would really love one digital cable as opposed to three analog cables. Also, is there a way to pump the audigy 2 (non-zs)'s digital signal to a digital spdif or IR cable? I would love, like I said, to pump it through the Infinity's with the Audigy2 signal if possible but I have no problem fabricating my own spdif/ir bracked. I just don't know if it's possible.

P1010015.JPG

Right, this is the case, simple. The 120 blowhole has already been added.

P1010016.JPG

Fan guards removed.

P1010017.JPG

Here's a closeup of the hole. It looks slightly off but rest assured that it's only because I suck at taking pictures straight on. If you look down on it, the hole lines up perfectly with the outside of the guard. My dremmel skills rock. I didn't even have to file it down, it's perfectly smooth, perflectly round, and perfectly not-sharp.

I don't know if you can tell or not 'cause of th flash but on the bottem right hole theres a large scratch. My screwdriver slipped while I stripped out the hole for the screw. I intentionally drilled the holes small so they would "thread" themselves when I put the screw in. It took more force than I expected. I am wondering, I have that spray on and rub off scratch remove for cars. Would that work for that scratch and not screw up the metal flake?

P1010018.JPG

Fan inside the case...

P1010019.JPG

This is how tight a fit is in there... That's where I have to mount the rad, TOUCHING the psu almost (.25-.5mm away) to use my optical drives. That's the JR-120, the small one. I didn't mount it 'cause I didnt feel like it.

Even though it has no real benefits, I will be doing push-pull with two Sanyo Denki's. At Procooling, it was once noted that at lower voltages, push-pull shows s noticable % more performance, however an almost-nonexistant one at 12v. I will be running 7v on all my 120's.

P1010022.JPG

This is most of the crap that's going into the case with everything else in the temp shot. The two Maxtors are missing.

P1010023.JPG

P1010024.JPG

I'm goin' to the intel sellers convention in Cleveland next wednesday! You'll be able to spot me if you go. I'll probably be the only 17 year-old there and I'll have a nice, close buzz cut, a black Testament hoody, and burns slightly past the jawline onto the neck.

Intel was nice enough to send me two mouse pads, two t shirts (a centrino and a p4ee shirt, both are rather nice), a bunch of pens, and a pleathera of semi-outdated pamphlets from spring time. Free stuff rocks.

I would have some more pics, especially of the fans in action but the camera died right after the last shot you see. I'll have to get the charger tomorrow from my friend.

I'm not going to tell what my plans are for the extensions until I get the mod done... woops... Anyway, what to expect soon: Final mount of radiator when fans arrive, back of mobo area cut out for easy WB install + some, external box construction, plus more. I am talking to the seller of the pump, kinda. He said it was still for sale (since Feb) and want's a MO. He didn't give me an address though so I am waiting for him to get back to me. The 2-342 should be here any day. The Sanyo's should be in early-mid next week. The shroud, when the maker gets around to it - I know you're watching.

Thanks for the free hosting and might I recommend Batch it! for all your image resizing needs.
'Till next time!

Just got ma 2-342, 4 sanyo's, and two hoodies today! The hoods fargin rock - Nevermore and Nile, both are amazing. JSR-Direct is an awesome company for music apparal but they are a little slow to deliver, 2-3 weeks usualy. The sanyo's: I haven't plugged them in yet but am VERY impressed. They are thick, heavy, and have a huge hub, all very excellent signs. I'll end up pluggin' them in in a little bit. The core... I was expecting the barbs to be a lot bigger on the tanks. Oh well - less work for me.

I left all my stuff at work since I get paid to do that there during down time in the shop. I didn't get much done today - just cut out the back of the mobo plate. It costed me five heavy duity dremmel wheels to do it though, .7mm steel. So far, the mod is coming along very well. This weekend I hope to have the external box's frame done. The box will have steel/aluminum sheeting for the bottem, fan side, and front end. I want to get some kind of honeycomb/mesh for the rad side. I don't want to leave the rad sticking outI am going to have a second psu mounted inside the box for my fans and hard drives, leave the True480 for the CPU only.

I have decided I am going to try the mirrior base idea and will make a template and see if Lowes or Home depot will cut it for me. I hope they can, It's kinda detailed.

I got a nice psu mod for you guys to see once I get it done. I have to turn the pcb of the board backwards inside the box. The reasoning for this is see the pic where the jr120 and psu are side by side? Well that's all nice and dandy but my psu's cables come out of the front, not the back like that generic one's. I need to have the cables com out of the side and I can't turn my antec upsidedown as the second 92mm fan on the bottem of it won't be able to breathe. I already thought of moving the 92 fan to the outside and run the wires inside the box but that looks REALLY trashy. This is going to be subperb when I'm done - just no paint. I had a bad chassie painting experience and unless I can get a kid in my work-release class to paint it right for me, it's staying gray.

k, that's it for now.

Oh, I guess we can change the title to "Project: nameless" now. Thanks mod.

One final note, if anyone is willing to send me 6x 80mm FLAT fan guards, I would be much obliged. I can pay shipping and a little incentive.

'Changed my mind again about the jr-120. After seeing how powerful the Sanyo's actually are, I'm just using a pull setup. Also, the second fan would be located somwhere around the middle of my case...

Now all I have to worry about is having the rad clear the vdimm. It's going to be close - I might have to remove the ddr supports. Heh, at least this way I won't have to worry about ram cooling.

I am actually surprised at how well that tiny shroud for the jr-120 works. After insulating between the rad and shroud, fan and shroud, and fan and case with mousepads; the whole rad is recieving airflow.

Back