• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

who's currently making the best hard drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathAngelLST

Don't have to tell me about Seagate's 5 years warranty.

I don't want to have problems with it for atleast 2 years, I never had problems with this Quantum Fireball 28GB in 3 years. RMA is a no no.

120GB, 8MB cache, IDE

when you say best what are you referring to? best perfomance, best reliability, best for the money? lots of factors to be addressed when it comes to picking the "best" one for you.

I thought I already said reliability wise in my post: "Don't want to have problems with it".

I see people complaining about Hitachi's hard drive - what the hell are those clicks it does at times? Also hear about Maxtor's drives dying all of a sudden after a few months of use.
I might go for Seagate after all. I heard WD's ones don't last as long and are worse temperature wise. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have both a seagate and WD. the seagate does put off less heat (becouse its crap) and It seems to be holding up better I'v already returned my WD once (after 2.5 months) and had my seagate for around 5 years now. Performance wise though my seagate sucks. Problay beocuse it so old though. Also my WD was getting so hot it wouldnt load at times, now it has its own fan though, so its a simple fix as for the heat issue.

I took out the case fans that were cooling my hard drive. I really don't plan on putting them back, I'll never go back to that excessive noise.

If you dont wnat to use a case fan to cool you HDD maybe you shouldnt get a WD. Though my geuss would be that new SeaGates also put off a lot of heat.

I've tortured my two Maxtor 5400rpm drives over the years, and they're still going strong. Even have another 20gb Quantom(maxtor) that's good. Never had a problem with Maxtor

Have had a few western digitals with problems. I have one currently that's in my P2, it seems slow, but works none the less. And of course my raptor which I havn't had a problem with, and I better not considering the price tag on it.

DeathAngelLST said:
I thought I already said reliability wise in my post: "Don't want to have problems with it".
You could be a bit more civil about it if you are expecting peoples' help. You weren't particularly clear about what you were seeking. Believe it or not, nobody "wants to have problems", so your statement was saying approximately nothing.

The thing you must grasp is that hard drives do fail. And I have yet to see one that cares what you want. If you can't bear a hard drive failure, I suggest you don't buy one. If it happens it happens (and it does happen with all makes), regardless of your wishes.

mmmmkay. But I didn't mean to sound rude.

As for hard drive failures, they are very rare around here. I haven't heard complaints from anyone that I know. It seems some people just don't have luck.

DeathAngelLST said:
As for hard drive failures, they are very rare around here. I haven't heard complaints from anyone that I know. It seems some people just don't have luck.

If hard drive failure is such a remote possiblity, what was the point of this thread?

People that I know don't have WD, Seagate or Hitachi. Most of them have Samsung hard drives, and they are fabricated here, thus can be replaced in a couple days if anything goes wrong. But I'm buying it from the US...

I'd check out BB. They had a sale this Sunday that may still be running. It's a WD 80 Gb 7200 rpm 8 Mb cache hdd for 30 bucks with 2 m.i.r.'s. Great deal, and I can attest that it is very quick. I can get past the blue bars in 1 1/2 passes, and the Welcome screen passes in 5 secs. It's a speedy little devil, especially for 30 bucks.

I would say Western digital or the seagate enterprise class drives. My 2 old maxtors were not all that fast and one of them had the smartdisk function die on them, although it still works. I also had a 10GB quantum(which is owned by maxtor) that died.

Back