• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking P4-2.0a Question w/screenshot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ewhenn

Ok, I am curious how far I can go with this... and what would happen if I bump it up to the next "notch".

My current OC is 110x20=2200MHZ Stable

Thing is the next step on my mobo is 133FSB x 66AGP x 33PCI... nothing in between like 120FSB

What would happen If I bumped it up to that 133 level (33% overclock?), In you guys experience, what would you think would happen?? This is a Revision D1 chip, whatever that means (but from looking around that seems good). If it wouldn't post if I made the adjustment, what would I need to do, clear the CMOS or whatever with the jumper??

With My current OC Proc Temps are as follows:
Idle: 38 C
Full Load: 50 C
Ambient Room: 25 C

I don't see any way to up the core voltage on my Mobo, anyone know of a way to do this on a AV42??

Thanks in Advance Guys!!

System Setup is as Follows:
P4 2.0A GHZ - Currently OC to 2.2GHZ using Stock cooler/fan...
Antec 1080 AMG Case w/430 TruPower Supply - 5 Hich Volume Case Fans
Shuttle AV42
640 MB RAM PC2700
80 GB PATA 7200-8MB MDT-Generic HD
160 GB PATA 7200-8MB Seagate Baracuda (paid $4, thanks fatwallet!)
ATI 9800 Pro Vid Card 128mb
NEC 1100a DVD+RW 4x
Crummy Onboard Sound
Leadtek Winfast TV 2000 XP Deluxe Tuner/capture card

overclock.gif

cpuz.gif

Last edited:
You can try 133 fsb, which will yield 2666, but chances are pretty close to zero that it will run stable at stock voltage.

I had a 2.0a running at 2666 (20x133), but it was at 1.6v vcore.

If the computer doesn't post, you can clear the cmos(there should be a jumper), or you can hold insert right after the computer boots (clears cmos also on most boards).

The only real option would be getting a new board with 1 mhz intervals for the fsb, and adjustable vcore, or check if there is maybe a bios update that adds that (probably not).

Indyxc

if you dont have the opion change the voltage in the bios, then you are going to have a hard time. i was able to get to 3.0 ghz when i had my 2.0a, but that was with changing the voltage. bu non the less i was able to get to 2.6 Ghz with the default vcore. so try your luck. cheers.

Ewhenn, what is the stepping on that 2.0A? When did you get it? It's on the box or heatspreader. Whether it's a B0 or D1 may mean a difference of 650 mhz! On a good board that is.

Stepping is 9 and it is a D1... I got it OEM maybe 9 months ago with a MOBO (old one died and I needed to get a PC quick...)

I had a B0 stepping long time ago that would only do about 2.5 gig with extra vcore. Then I had a C1 that did 3.4 gig. Since that's a D1, I would think it would O/C very good. Probably 133 on stock voltage. Try it. The worse that will happen is it might not be completely stable.

Is there any negative side to overclocking without raising the voltage (besides heat)? I have seen that a lot of people here have issues with thier chip detiorating. Is this likely if you leave the voltage at factory spec?

No, the worst that you can expect is that your computer won't POST and you'll have to reset CMOS..... you won't kill your processor by overclocking at stock vcore.

With a full load temp of 50°C, you have a little room to overclock higher... just try to keep it under around 58°C for stability purposes. Do you have Prime 95? It's an excellent program for testing whether your overclock is stable or not.... here's a link if you don't have it.
LINK

Good Luck and Welcome to the forums :)

-Meatball

Thanks.. I hope it works... If I can get it running I wil replace the Heatsink/Fan.. it's the weakest of the intel ones.. I think that would help a lot. Yup, the chart osted was w/prime95 running... I am sure I have adequate case airflow, I think it is jsut the heatsink.

5x80mm 35CFM fans (quiet)
3 intake- 2 front, 1 side
2 exhaust- right over the CPU hearsink/fan
plust the 1 on the ANtec Powersupply

The 2.0A C1 are crazy clockers..mine was 3dmark stabile at 3.8Ghz and would boot windows (frozen solid, lol) at 4Ghz

good luck with yours!

There is no danger of degradation at all using default voltage (as long as your temps are acceptable). High voltage is what causes problems, especially when combined with high temps.

Thanks for all the useful info so far guys.. you all kick a$$.. Unfortunately the board refuses to fo to 133FSB.. The Bios wont save the changes.... Weird.. it will let me go to 110FSB, but no higher. This board looked like a lame OCer anyways, no way to bump voltage at all.. would like to hit it to 1.525 or so.. plus the limited OC it did have also bumped up the AGP/PCI buses... not good, and the main reason I awnted to do 133 FSB, to keep them at 66/33... grrr... :mad: :mad:

Go figure?!?!

Time to order that Abit AI7... this shuttle board is old and slow anyways... older via chipset, etc.. now I have a good reason to upgrade... :D

Well i ordered a MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum board and i got it in my rig and running a 2.0a P4 @ 3.0ghz the board is great and cheap with a price tag of only 75 bucks

Attachments

• cpu-z screeny.jpg
    cpu-z screeny.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 103
ya i love it right now it dose 3.2 at stock voltage but isnt 100% stable because my PSU under volts to about 1.495-1.515 when at 100% load im useing a modded stock intel cooler temps are 30*c idle 40*C load i put a beefier fan on it and lapped it works great.

ya but not 1.495 and all my other volts fluctuate like mad im ordering a fortron aurora psu on the 1st see below also maybe you know what is winbond 1 sensor for?

Attachments

• MBM5.jpg
    MBM5.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 91
It looks like MBM is reading a few of your voltages wrong.... if I run my cpu at stock vcore, under load it goes down to 1.48 and I have an Antec 550W.... not to say that having a new PSU won't help stabilize your rails and your overclock, but the voltage drop for the cpu isn't caused by a bad PSU, it's pretty standard for most people.

My overclock stabilized quite a bit with a new PSU, as did my brother's... he was able to drop his vcore by .1V and still be stable at the same oc.

Here's my MBM screenie..... it doesn't even read some of my voltages... Speedfan was reading stuff like yours, -123V on one rail and some weird numbers on the other one's.

Oh, I have no idea what the Winbond 1 does..... I don't even use it on my board... just Winbond 2 and 3. Actually, I'm not even sure what a Winbond is.... I'll have to go look it up. :eek:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 85
ya im ordering all new cooling and a psu for it on the first hope to hit 3.3 with it im gana get the thermalright nb cooler and xp-90 and a high cfm fan with the psu. so watch out :p ill post my results when i get the gear

Back