• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sen's Ultimate Winchester Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
gvblake22 said:
LOL, what's that supposed to mean?
Meaning they are a bunch of dumbasses... :cool:
gvblake22 said:
And I can't wait for the results Sen!! :drool:
Yea... strangly I havent gotten excited by the whole thing. I think I will once the CPU shows up.

I honestly don't trust tom's/ They may be right about no AGP, but they somehow come up with "no ECC on s940" err... you have to have ECC on socket940, so once again tom is still an idiot.

Petr said:
On that page you mention s940 requires registered DIMMs what is correct. But here we speak about ECC - is that required too ?
Yes, both are required for Socket940

xtrmeocr said:
looking at the bios screenshots it looks like it has a pci-e lock :santa:

Intel is the only manufacturer that does not lock the PCI-x. This is the heart of the "Intel overclock lock," found on all new 915/925 chipset motherboards. Both PCIe and SATA increase in proportion to respect FSB increases. NVIDIA, however, has no plans to do the same thing.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2124

deception``

S940 only require registered RAM not ECC as well - though I think the majority of registered RAM are ECC too it is not a requirement for S940

anyways ..back to winchesters

i am thinking about buying one here soon ..around dec or janaury ..will the nf4 be out? and whats the best speed for the cpu/ price?

wizard james said:

i am thinking about buying one here soon ..around dec or janaury ..will the nf4 be out? and whats the best speed for the cpu/ price?

1. Phob didn't mean to intentionally thread-jack and even apologized for it. So there is no need for the "anyways......"

2. Back to your question: NF4 will be out probably in the middle of Nov. Around that time, the best cpu for you to look at would definitely be the Winchester 3000+. Not only are they of great value, but they also overclock quite well for an early 90nm A64.

deception``

wizard james said:

By then I would reccomend either a 3200+ or a 3500+. AMD is having a tough time getting 90nm to run fast. So take the highest speed you can feesibly get your hands on.

Just to give everyone a heads up.... my **** will be arriving today. I get back from college at around noon EST. I plan to have everything ready to go later on today. Once I get the machine booted Ill post back here. :attn:

Back