• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sen's Ultimate Winchester Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
Ok ladies, its that time again. All my parts are ordered and are on their way. With the help of my fellow associates:D, Im gonna take my first A64 experience and put it here on the web.

FIRST! Lets see what makes them so cool. Lets go ahead and cut to the chase.

FAQ:
Q: Sen, What the hell is "Winchester" and why should I care?
A: Winchester is AMD's first 90nm based chip. It is important because of the stark differences between Intel's 90nm based technology and AMD's. Mainly it is important becasue it is on a die shrink.

Q: Sen, you confoosed me. What the **** is a die-shrink?
A: Simple, it is where they make the processor smaller. Theoritically the smaller the chip, the faster it should be able to run, because it needs less power to operate at a certian speed.

Q: Oh nos teh Sen, whyz is teh Winchester cheaper than Newcastle?
A: The size of the Winchester die is physically much smaller than a Newcastle, because it uses 90nm techonology, which is a smaller fabrication process. Since die-size is a direct coorlation to price, it is inherentally cheaper. Here is an example:
(Clawhammer)
19-103-443-01.JPG

(Winchester)
1089664207.jpg

Q: What is the default voltage of Winchester CPUs?
A: The default voltage is 1.4v

Q: Is Winchester faster than Newcastle at the same speed?
A: Yes, very slightly.
Anandtech said:

Q: Does Winchester run cooler than a Newcastle?
A: Yes, AMD's 90nm process is far better than Intel's. They have succeded in doing a traditional die-shrink as we know it to be.

Q: If I get a Winchester CPU, is my motherboard safe? Or should I take the same precautions as I would If I were buying a Prescott?
A: Yes, treat this CPU exactally like Prescott. Although it does not put out the same amount of heat, It will stress the MOFSETs exactally like one.

The Inquirer said:
When you move froma 0.13 micron CPU at 1.5v to a 0.09 micron CPU at 1.5v you make the MOSFET loading increase by around 44%. When you go 0.065 micron that is 100% greater than at 0.13 micron at 1.5v and 38% greater than .09 micron at 1.5v
(AMD spokesperson)

Q: Does Winchester give my 3.0ghz yet?
A: No, so far WCs clock only slightly better than a Newcastle. However we will find out soon enough.

amd_luvarboi said:
Q: Will/may the increased loads on MOSFETs potentially affect your OC's in a negative manner?
A: Not sure, I will test it I suppose. My guess is yes.

Q: How much power does Winchester draw exactally? Is it worse than Prescott?
A: Actually unlike Intel, their power draw looks exactally as it should Granted it could be alot better, but remember the Palimino gave birth to the TbredB:
deception`` said:
90nm-power.gif

(-Tech Report)

Q: Does Winchester come in socket 754? I am dying to get my hands on one.
A: No sadly it only comes in S939. Fortunatly AMD does plan to make 754 cores with 90nm process by the year's end. This chip will be called Palermo.

Q: What does AMD's 90nm roadmap look like?
A:
AMD said:

Q: Ok this is all cool and ****, but why would people want to buy anything but a Winchester?
A:.....good question

Last edited:
I have referred this thread to a mod - stick some basic what is a winchester stuff in there and we may soon have a new sticky?

David said:
I have referred this thread to a mod - stick some basic what is a winchester stuff in there and we may soon have a new sticky?
You got it bro.....;) :clap:

Im going to do some OCing results here on Monday or Tues. Once my chip arrives. I expect Red02ta to do the same.

amd_luvarboi said:
Question: Will/may the increased loads on MOSFETs potentially affect your OC's in a negative manner?
My guess is yes.

Last edited:
Hrm. I find it VERY interesting that a 90nm CPU will take a toll on mosfets like a Prescott. In intel's case, a Prescott has an adverse affect because it uses considerably more power than a Northwood and generates more heat. A Winchester, on the contrary possesses a lower power consumption and generates less heat than a 130nm cpu.

When taking these facts into consideration, I find it highly improbable that a Winchester poses the same adverse affect on mosfets as a much hotter, power hungry Prescott. Nonetheless, I am not here to argue with everything you have said because the rest, despite being common knowledge, was dead on. If anything, this makes me question the validity of the "AMD Spokesperson" quoted on The Inquirer. Hopefully we (as a community) will be able to shed some more light on this topic.

90nm-power.gif

deception``

Lay it on meh brothas. Im going to leave the first post as a Q&A. If you got some facts, lets see em.

I looked at after your first post. I'll be the first to admit that I do not take everything the Inquirer posts for face value. To me, this is just a ridiculous as them telling me that a 9500 Pro outperforms an x800 XT PE! :D I guess the point that I am trying to make is that I would be much less apprehensive about the matter if I had seen some graphs or other data from a reviewer such as [H]ardocp or Anandtech. Of course, I could be very wrong, but I'd just like some more proof of this matter.

deception``

deception`` said:
I looked at after your first post. I'll be the first to admit that I do not take everything the Inquirer posts for face value. To me, this is just a ridiculous as them telling me that a 9500 Pro outperforms an x800 XT PE! :D I guess the point that I am trying to make is that I would be much less apprehensive about the matter if I had seen some graphs or other data from a reviewer such as [H]ardocp or Anandtech. Of course, I could be very wrong, but I'd just like some more proof of this matter.

deception``
Either way, I planned on cooling my MOFSETs. I planned on this long before I saw this story.

Sentential said:
Ok ladies, its that time again. All my parts are ordered and are on their way.

Unfortunately there are very few ladies here. But seriously, I thought nForce4 release is imminent, or was this an 'I can't wait another day' situation'?

i have to agree on the mosfet issue. less power = power load on the mosfets. the cpu process has nothing to do with it.

c627627 said:
Unfortunately there are very few ladies here. But seriously, I thought nForce4 release is imminent, or was this an 'I can't wait another day' situation'?
Its more the case that:

Sentential said:
OH NOS, IM A DUMBASS AND BOUGHT A $400 AGP CARD AND CANT UPGRADE TO NFORCE4 :(

Plus I have a buyer for my AXP rig, and he is growing increasingly impatient. So I am in a rush to get this rig to him. Plus he's a good friend. Dont wanna keep him waiting for too long now. :santa:

Final reason is because I can.... :bday:

Last edited:
Your third reson is the most valid of all of course.
So no AGP on any nForce4s, are you sure? Last I heard was that there will be nForce4s with AGPs...?

c627627 said:
Your third reson is the most valid of all of course.
So no AGP on any nForce4s, are you sure? Last I heard there will be nForce4s with AGPs...?
100% positive. No nforce4 will have AGP. nVidia confirmed this along with the lack of Soundstorm2

Wow.
Think about it, the majority of people can only afford AGP at this time, this makes no sense I mean they'll have fewer sales, at least this year, won't they?

c627627 said:
Wow.
Think about it, the majority of people can only afford AGP at this time, this makes no sense I mean they'll have fewer sales, at least this year, won't they?
....ok bro. I want you to take a step back and think about this. This is nV we are talking about. The very same RND team that gave us FlowFX and the 5800U. Somehow I am not very suprised by this news....not one bit :mad:

Back