• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA II, -NCQ [Native Command Queuing]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

H2

Has anyone had any experiance to know if this type of hard drive really does work any better at Multi-Tasking than any other Serial ATA 150?
Maxtor 300GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model 6B300S0

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-359&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE

I'm trying to decide if this would be a good drive to put my operating system on with all my Video Editing programs on. I do lots of Multi-tasking at a time and this hardrive with the 16meg buffer and the SATA II, -NCQ [Native Command Queuing] is supposed to be good for this. I don't need that much capacity, 160 gig would be ok but if this drive is faster, that is what I want.

I wonder if this speed is really noticable or if it is something you would have to use a stopwatch on to measure.

Teobre,

Do you have an example of a Controller that you are talking about that I could use with my Asus PC-DL Dual Xeon and take advantage of that NCQ?
Do you think it would be worthwhile getting or should I just use it plugged right into my board?
Thanks for any help in this. I have no idea, but I can't afford a SCSI setup.

Since I don't know which support it, I'm not gonna tell you false info but a good place to look is at www.storagereview.com.

If you have a Southbridge with native SATA support that's already great for the drive. The ICH5R is a great chipset for SATA. It should work just fine in your setup. I was just saying that you'll need a chipset able to use NCQ, if they are as good or better than my seagates and I imagine they are with 16meg cache; they should fly.

I don't know about you, but I would go look at the seagate drives since they have a 5 year warrenty, I recently had 6 Maxtors die one by one.

Nice Link! It had lots of very usefull information.
Thanks for the help and the Seagate suggestion for 5 years.

does sata II work on sata controllers? is it backwards compatible? will it work on a mobo that just says sata controller?

oh, and does anyone mix sata with IDE drives? do they work ok?

Last edited:
noxipoo said:
does sata II work on sata controllers? is it backwards compatible? will it work on a mobo that just says sata controller?

oh, and does anyone mix sata with IDE drives? do they work ok?

Completely backwards compatable think of it as ATA100 and ATA133. Same connector just different specs in the protocol.

As for the IDE drive and mixing, it's all up to your controller and the drives in use and your adaptor.

Right now, the only released chipsets on a motherboard that support NCQ are the Intel 915 and 925 chipsets based on PCIE. I believe that you can find a NCQ enabled PCI card, but I haven't checked.
Also, the Nforce4 chipset for AMD should also support NCQ and motherboards based on this should be out soon.

Aslan said:
Also, the Nforce4 chipset for AMD should also support NCQ and motherboards based on this should be out soon.

This is true, When nf4 comes out around dec. they are going to be fully working with sataII but for now the ncq does not work on a normal sata ..put the drive works.

just not the speed you want lol.. like said. ata66 to ata 133

i myself cant wait till a 939 pin with nf4 comes out.. new system and 2500 dollers here i come.. now ..whos goes to toss is the money? ..it all goes to folding...... :bday:

ouch $2500? i hope a new monitor is priced in there :p

I think i will wait for NCQ (ie NF4) before I upgrade, but I might have to get some cheapo stuff for a second comp to hold me off, so many new games and I can't play any.

o ..yea..sorry forgot that thats in canadain dollers.. so about 1500-2000 dollers usd

..going to get a lcd 19 inch. 16 ms ..i hope.

if i dont get the money i am hopein for ..then i am going to upgrade my dell.. new psu motherboard case ram... and screen. ..also wana get a mx1000 and a wireless keyboard... but i guess its going to be a bit till a i get a nf4 ..o well.. if i dont get my money that is

hmmm.. I have been looking at these sata II maxtor drives too. I wonder if I would see much improvement on my p4c800-e dlx over my current sata 150 maxtor. Where does the 16MB help out for performance?

What other drives currently support ncq? I cant find whether the Hitachi Deskstar 7K400 does or not? I think the Maxtor competes with that Hitachi.

acesea said:
What other drives currently support ncq? I cant find whether the Hitachi Deskstar 7K400 does or not? I think the Maxtor competes with that Hitachi.

The Hitachi 7k400 does not support NCQ and I haven't heard of any Hitachi drives that have it. However, there probably will be a NCQ-enabled Hitachi drive out sometime soon.
As for other drives that support NCQ, the Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 has it and goes up to 400 gigs.

Back