• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jack's worklog

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I must say that's a stellar blowhole job (heh don't laugh no pun intended). But it looks like they were made by a holesaw, I am surprised that they can look that good. Now I'm thinking buying a dremel instead of a holesaw, which we all know has far more uses ;)

That's awesome work there with the blowholes! How did you mount your fans to the shroud and shroud to the HC? Did you make the shroud yourself?

Nice! Xcellent dremel skillz too ;) Not too impressed with the large bends in the lines, but if it doesn't restrict flow and temps remain low, that's all that matters.

Congrats on a job well done! :thup:

very nice work jack. the cutouts for the fans on the top of the case are damn close to perfect. :thup: :thup:

as for the pump dampening pads, I normally just get a piece of neoprene from mcmaster.com or dangerden and then trim it to fit the base of the pump. a 1/4" thick pad is usually enough to get the job done unless you have a pump that is endorsed by jenna jameson for it's highly violent vibrating action...
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=94&cat=31&page=1
$2.01

[shamelessquotingofshamlessplugforweapon]
jackrungh said:
[SHAMELESSPLUGFORWEAPON]
He really is the grandfather of heatercore modding. If you have the means, I highly recommend them, they are so choice. My SilenX's won't do it justice, but for much less than BIX's etc, get some fans with umph and these cores will not only perform better but look better as well. (if thats your thing) It is quality work by a reliable and generous seller.
[/SHAMELESSPLUGFORWEAPON]
[/shamelessquotingofshamlessplugforweapon]

lol & thanks. gotta love the ferris bueller paraphrasing. :D

Hehe thanks weapon, I think it turned out well, but there is always more to do. The Mag 3 idea is tugging on my wallet and now that there is NO noise at all, my hard drives are the next to go. Updating to perhaps a pair of Samsung Sata 120's. Right now theyre just bargain basement 30 and 20 that humm like nobody's business. :-/

@beta_mouse: Yeah if you look up in the thread that pic of whole acrylic sheet was the material, along with some silicone glue specially designed for the purpose. Was probably the hardest part, as I initially cut the top piece that rests on the fans without thinking and it was longer than the HC, so one of the short end pieces had to go concave in to meet the edge of the fins ( |--------/ ). Yeah it was a pain, and lemme tell you, never dremel plastic if you dont want little melted and rehardened pieces of acrylic imbedded in your arm. Anyway if youre interested, here is the material I used, and it appears they no longer sell the cement but it is #16 Cement for Acrylic Sheet made by the IPS Corporation.

@rufus: Yeah theres a lot of hooplah on the forums and especially at procooling about bogus silenx claims, and some of that may be founded (though I expect most of it is people getting counterfeit versions). I tend to believe that the figures posted are inflated, but the proof is in the testing. I have no motor noise and just a barely audible whoosh, with quite a bit of air coming up through those holes, a good strong gust from 4ft above the fans. My overclock is proceeding and still am testing, but the cooling I can tell you is NOT a factor as far as stability's sake is concerned, and this is with wimpy little fans on a thick HC and a L20 plumbing. I was ready to take a hit for silence, but it seems I havent really taken much of a hit at all, and as im testing and burning at higher voltages and OCs, it just doesnt want to rise above 35 or so. I know it means nothing, but im using (in my reckoning) a +- ~15 C range, and even with a 20C variance upward, thats still very comfortable. At any rate, yeah they are dead quiet, if I had to do it again I probably would have bought the same thing, even if the numbers are fudged, a nexus @ 36 CFM for a 120mm fan is just too ludicrous, even for me, and I probably would think the Denkis are too loud.

Yeah nebulous I was concerned about that issue as I began leak testing, but with HC inlets and outlets so close to the block, there isnt really any other way to route it without kinking. The pics sort of show it, but the outlet for the HC is literally OVER the block copper, there is about 1/16 in. of clearance between the OD of the tygon coming out of the HC and the copper surface of the 6002, that was one issue I hadnt anticipated and lucked out on with that tiny clearance. If anyone has any routing suggestions, im open for them, itll give me an excuse to drain and fidget some more, and of course itll close the deal in my mind on the Mag 3 purchase because... might as well. :p

Thanks to everyone who participates in the WC forum for providing a wealth of information. I literally came in March knowing nothing and I think I have a pretty good handle on things now, with (excitingly so) still much to learn and investigate. Thanks even to those of you who are a little misinformed as learning to sift through the misinformation is a valuable skill that I hadnt had much practice with.

Critique and ill make it better. :sn:

The intake duct, as of now, as been scrapped, because between the bottom of the HC and the start of the Motherboard exists about a centimeter and a half of space. Obviously as the HC travels forward, there are no restrictions, and indeed I have a full two optical bays left. However even with a large duct that recedes by the motherboard (most of the rear 120 would have to intake via the cm and a half space) and expands to a good 2 inches deep up forward, I think the restriction of such a narrow air channel for most of that rear 120 would be disadvantageous. This isnt such a bad situation, as I have 4 panaflo 80's on intake both at the bottom front and at the rear back. Because of this, I anticipate near-ambient case temps and no deltaT problems between the fins and the air.

Didnt someone complete a mod like this? Who was that??

Back