Shopping for Notebook...really need input.

Hey fellas, I've never owned a notebook and so I don't know what to look for in terms of brand name and such. nor do i know what the price ranges are for Notebooks

I'm going to use it for 'general' use, nothing graphics intensive like games or video editing....Mostly just school work, Internet and Music Editing. I want something more stable than powerful. Something about a 15'' screen will be fine....Maybe my only concern would be to have a bigger sized HD...something around 80GB (which probably isn't even that big these days).

note: my roommate has a function next to the mouse pad where i can scroll up and down the page rolling my finger up and down the special pad..I'd like to have one with that.

one last question, is it worth trying to build a notebook? i've done a PC...no experience on a notebook. Would I save enough to try it?

Thanks in advance,
    Pat
    Last edited by kimbahpnam; 10-26-04 at 04:44 AM.
    Macbook Pro 2.16ghz 3GB DDR2

Get a Centrino. You will get crazy battery life that way.

Biggest laptop hd right now is 80gb I think.

Forums Super Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile
    I wouldn't try to build one - its probably easier and cheaper to buy one.

As XWRed1 mentioned, Centrino based laptops are pretty powerful (with the Pentium-M) and get good battery life if you are on the move a lot.

Scroller pads (not sure exactly what they are called) vary depending on the laptop brand. My Acer has a small thing for moving up and down a page. I know some Packard Bell laptops have a small pad down the side for scrolling.
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011] [Google Scholar]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The Home Machine: AMD Llano A6-3650 APU / 8 GB DDR3 / Lots of HDDs / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7 [ Untouched for well over a year ]

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

10 Year Badge
    I've had three bad lcd screens from dell. You could say I'm not a real fan anymore. Anyways if you do get a dell I recommend buying a hard drive from new egg or somewhere else because dell puts crappy 5400rpm or slower drives in almost all of their notebooks.

5400rpm has been the fastest in the laptop world for a while, until recently with a handful of 7200rpm drives. The norm is 4200 rpm.

what are prices running at? anything under $8-900?

Probably not much anything that cheap which is also new or remotely cutting edge.

are there any sites that will let me pick and choose my parts and they will give me a final price?..something like dell.com, but not dell..

btw what is the UXGA/WSXGA/etc.? and what is the diff b/t desknote and notebook?

This is what i want in a nutshell:
    15-16 in. monitor
    60-80GB HD
    CPU...2.0+ghz
    512 MB Ram
    Vid Card..good enough for dvds, no games
    wireless card
    No OS (have my own)
    CD/DVD
    easy internet scrolling pad..?
    Last edited by kimbahpnam; 10-27-04 at 01:10 AM.

UXGA/WXGA are screen resolutions.

Notebook vs. Desknote is about the class of the laptop. A notebook is a real laptop, a Desknote is desktop parts stuck into a BIG laptop. Desknotes usually aren't too portable, but are marginally more powerful.

can you elaborate on what you mean by they're screen resolutions? they represent different classes of resolutions? so wxga is better because..? and so on

I would recommend you get a second battery also, it is well worth it. My friend just got a new laptop and he got a second battery he gets 7 hours and 15 minutes (centrino, 7200rpm harddrive good memory, etc).
    "Unlike Windows, Linux tries to happily coexist with other OS's. It's not like Windows which will go out of its way to break other installs." MRD
    "On the second day of the seventh month, in the third year of the new milenium, Wedo looked down and saw new pow-ah join team 32, and it was good." Wedo
    "I switch Oses like most people change pants. :)" rogerdugans
    "Always be sure to flash your bios during lightning storms!" MRD

Please Fold for team 32!
    portage > apt > source > rpm > windows update
    Gautam is a water buffalo