• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bfg, leadtek, or chaintech 6800s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitebear4

from what ive read, bfgs are not very good at successfully softmoding for 16v6, but leadteks and chaintechs are. the thing is, that the only leadteks and chaintechs i can find are like $30 more than the bfg at outpost, for $250. should i throw in the extra 30 dollars for a leadkte or chaintech?

contrary to what you may have read...the heatsink/dual fan on the bfg is NO WHERE NEAR the performance of the reference nvidia 6800 heatsink. you end up getting a slightly higher temperature = less ocing. otherwise the bfg is a great card, and like you said for a lower price. i havent heard anything about them not being able to be turned into a 16 piper....whatever you choose you will be happy but i would stick with leadtek or chaintech

thanks for the info...by the way, where in pennsylvania are you from?

edit: where did you get this information, that the bfgs heatsink isnt as good as the standard reference 6800 heatsink?

im just around pittsburgh, about 35 miles away actually. and its not the heatsink is bad but the reference one is better. i have gotten this info from the hardcoreware forums. a few people have had bad experiences with the new heatsink and are complaining of much higher heat than the reference design. still a great buy for 250 if you can get it :)

Last edited:
elitebear4 said:
from what ive read, bfgs are not very good at successfully softmoding for 16v6, but leadteks and chaintechs are. the thing is, that the only leadteks and chaintechs i can find are like $30 more than the bfg at outpost, for $250. should i throw in the extra 30 dollars for a leadkte or chaintech?

I would pay the extra the leadtek has an excellent bundle and the cooling is top notch. I have had 3 of them so far, LOL, bought played with and sold cause I picked up a limited edition evga 6800 256 ddr3

Now gonna grab an MSI 6800nu for a friend it looks to be a nice card

CK

Back