• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good OCing Tool for nVidia?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gustav

Ive got a friend with a 5200 ultra. The rest of his puter is crap though. Its an old compaq with a 750mhz amd duron I think, little ram, blah blah blah it sucks. Anyway he's taking some thing for computers at a local community college and he talked to his instructor about it. His instructor said that it may be possible that the video car is too good for the rest of the computer and that he should underclock the car. I'm an ATI guy so I use Radlinker on my car, but thats an ATI only program. Whats a good program for nVidia so he can underclock his card and see how it helps?

football said:
I also hear people get good results with EXPERTool from Gainward, give it a try as well.

But, dosn't that only work for 6800 series? I put that down as well but I deleted it :/. Cause, I like Expertool cause you can control fanspeeds :).

start > run > regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > NVIDIA Corporation > Global > NVTweak>

Add DWORD value, name it Coolbits. Make value 3.

Close out Registry Editor

Open NVidia control panel (right click desktop > Properties > Settings > Advanced button
Now he can tinker to his hearts delight. However, I have never heard of the video-card slowing the system by being to fast, unless hes running it at 8x and the system can only do lik 2x/4x.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
But, dosn't that only work for 6800 series? I put that down as well but I deleted it :/. Cause, I like Expertool cause you can control fanspeeds :).

You can control fan speeds if you have a 6800 card, you can have "performance inhance" if you have a GS card and you can just plain overclock in you have a geforce card. So no, they are not just for the 6800 cards. They are for all Gainward cards, but other geforce cards use it as well. Infact, most say they get more overclock with it, than the others.

My personal favorite is powerstrip I find thge testing aspect of coolbits rivatuner to be annoying and irrelevant. Also your friends teacher is talking out of his you know what. There is no way a vid card can be too fast for a system. If the system had an agp 2x slot in it then yes it would be too fast because the card would not work in it.

Back