• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 linksys routers? extend singal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaaaaaaaaa

2 linksys routers? extend signal

First of all
I have a Linksys BEFCMU10 cable modem connected to my Linksys BEFW11S4 V.2 router
everything is working fine, but I have some wireless clients and with 128 bit encryption the singal strength is a little sketchy.
The 2nd router I have is a Linksys BEFW11S4 (no version # like my other).
Could I plug it into the 1st routers uplink port and set the encryption to the same and point the extra antennas? any thoughts on what else it could be used for
serious uses plz.

-thanks

Last edited:
To my knowledge, no you can't boost the signal of one SSID with another wireless router. You'd be best buying some distance boosting antennas and/or you can put one wireless access points on one side of the building, and run a cable to the other access point and viola, instant broader access. The only bad thing to that is you'll have to switch to the other access point. You can set windows xp to automatically switch once you lose signal from the other one. It'd just be a problem if you have the SSID broadcast turned off. Good luck with it. I know I'm having a heck of a time with my wireless network. :)

If you have Multiple APs that have RJ-45 ports, you can wired them together (i think you'd have to use Crossover cable) then if you set em all to the same SSID i should work.
There may be some other thing you hav to do i've never tryed this

But it can be done, i mean at college they have 7 different APs on the same network

isnt there such thing as a wireless network extender made by linksys? most wireless companys sell those....

There is the wireless relay thingy, i'm not sure but i think its only linksys, However its wifi so it'll work with anything.

However from what i head they pritty much suck and they kill the bandwidth

I didnt like my first post so here it goes again..

You could try to use this firmware www.sveasoft.com. With this firmware you can do anything you ever wanted to with your router... currently i only think it supports the WRT54G and the WRT54GS and some other routers. But you might not even have to extend your network because

"The Sveasoft firmware adds a host of new features to your Linksys WRT54G or WAP54G router - including power boost up to 900% from stock firmware!"

But if you wanted to you could just buy more WRT54G(S) and they can act as repeaters for you with this firmware.. just read the faq if you have questions.. and if that doesnt answer them then email the sveasoft ppl

Eddie

I agree with Cytomax, grab a wrt54g and some 2nd party firmware, but beware, if you crank up the signal strength too much, you could toast your router, and may be in vioaltion of the limitations the FCC has on wireless transmitters. you can also check out firmware from www.wifi-box.sourceforge.net or www.openwrt.org
there was a little write up about 2nd party firmaware in this months maximum pc, if you want to check that out, hope this helps

Back