• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new Asus V9999GE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Larethus

So I picked up an Asus V9999GE off someone I knew for a fairly decent price ($425cdn). I'm sure everyone knows what this card is. It is basically a 6800 on Ultra PCB with the same type of memory the Ultra uses (256mb GDDR3). This card has two power connections on it just like the Ultra does, it even has the same number of mosfets and uses the same cooling as Asus's Ultra Deluxe. Because of all this I figured the card would be a decent candidate to attempt a softmod on, needless to say it all turned out quite well as the shots below will show. :clap:

I am toying with the idea of modifying the bios for 1.5v to the GPU just for kicks; to see how high it will go. Overall for $425cdn... I'm pretty happy. Looks quite nice in my case too, due to the fact that it illuminates blue. This is my first Nvidia card since the TNT2 Ultra and it hasn't disappointed so far. Doom3 @ 1600x1200 is a lovely sight, as is the 1.3 patch for farcry with HDR. Yummy.

6800_1.gif
6800_2.gif

Hi Larethus, Nice!! I just picked this card up for $360 USD and had the same thing in mind... glad to see yours work. I am curious what guide did you use to softmod or did you just use the v9999 ultra BIOS?

tsin :beer:

Do you not need to do anything with the Nomega drivers? The last nvidia card I flashed was my 5900xt to 5950ultra and I remember I did have to use an actual BIOS.rom file in DOS to do it.

tsintse said:
Hi Larethus, Nice!! I just picked this card up for $360 USD and had the same thing in mind... glad to see yours work. I am curious what guide did you use to softmod or did you just use the v9999 ultra BIOS?

where did you get it for $360 ?

At Computerstop in Bellevue, however someone else bought this and traded it to me for ~$360 worth of computer stuff :cool:

I think they are selling them there for 415 or something... not bad if it will flash to an ultra.

tsintse said:

Nope, I did not flash an ultra BIOS. For now it is softmodded via rivatuner. I am really toying with the idea of an Ultra BIOS. Is there any downside to doing so? If the flash goes bad I should just be able to stick in a PCI card and flash back the original BIOS? Also, is there a BIOS that anyone would recommend? Would I go for a reference 6800 ultra BIOS, or an Asus one?

As for what guide I used to softmod this card, I just followed the instructions in the rivatuner manual :) If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Let us know how yours mods up!

Larethus said:
Nope, I did not flash an ultra BIOS. For now it is softmodded via rivatuner. I am really toying with the idea of an Ultra BIOS. Is there any downside to doing so? If the flash goes bad I should just be able to stick in a PCI card and flash back the original BIOS? Also, is there a BIOS that anyone would recommend? Would I go for a reference 6800 ultra BIOS, or an Asus one?

As for what guide I used to softmod this card, I just followed the instructions in the rivatuner manual :) If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Let us know how yours mods up!

Any idea what the ram is rated at , I am assuming 2ns or 2.2?? I was one of the lucky ones who scored the eVGA 6800 Limited Edition card and it has not dissappointed me. I am running the GT-14.rom bios and today I upped my clocks after running it 430/1200 over the last week when gaming to to 440/1220 and all was good and I paid the equal of under $420 cnd, so needless to say I am happy. I can only play at max of 1280x1024 full detail but I love it and same I have not had an nvidia card since geforce256, although I dabbled with testing ti4200's a bit in past.

I am looking to add the evga cooper cooler on to reduce gpu temps but so far the card is a brute and will last my 939 system a good year easy.

Glad to see you scored a deal and go for the vmod

CK

Back