• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you take the front of the case off frequently...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazy Jayhawk

...here's an easy way to keep from having to disconnect all those little 2-pin plugs from the motherboard and reconnect them later. I'll use my case as an example. Some of you may have more LEDs or more switches, but the basic principle can be expanded for those cases. Just use a cable with more pins.

There are eight wires going to the front of my case (six now, but that's beside the point). I got tired of having to remember where to connect the little plugs, so I went to the bookstore and picked up an Apple 8-pin serial extension cable. Make sure you get an extension cable so that you can plug the ends together. Cut it into two pieces, each one long enough to give you a fair amount of slack. You'll probably discard a lot of cable from the midsection.

The nice thing with the cable I got was that each wire had a different color. I just noted what mobo wires were connected to what colors and made sure they matched on the other cable. Once this was done, I connected the male plug from the case front to the female plug from the motherboard and it worked wonderfully.

Now I only have to disconnect a single plug if I have to take the front off.

Last edited:
when i finish gathering tips for the tips project they will go to a tips of the day database. I really need some good tip though, if you have some please send them my way to [email protected]. They can be as complex as this or a quick one sentence tip on something. WOuld love to get more!

I was a bit surprised at this post, since my case has that as standard....

But I have to admit that on my earlier cases I left all the modding and adding/removing components to 'experst' , so I never saw it any other way...

PixelMover said:
I was a bit surprised at this post, since my case has that as standard....

But I have to admit that on my earlier cases I left all the modding and adding/removing components to 'experst' , so I never saw it any other way...

Yeah, it's great having a Lian Li! hahahaha, suck it regular case ppl!

fuzzba11 said:
Yeah, it's great having a Lian Li! hahahaha, suck it regular case ppl!
angryrazz.gif

Back