• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD Errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gustav

Ok I have a problem with my computer. I keep getting BSODs. My computer is Prime95 stable for over 24 hours. I also run F@H and it runs stable at my OC. However, I keep getting this BSOD error:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF932BB8, 0xA947BBB4, 0x00000000)

Win32k.sys – Address BF932BB8 base at BF800000, DateStamp 3f73195d

I don’t know what it is. I turned down my OC to stock and everything in the BIOS is set to default, but I keep getting it. If I just do desktop stuff (IMs, web browsing, etc) it doesn’t as often but its unpredictable. However if I go to start up a game or something the error comes up, but starting smaller programs like IM, browser, etc. does not cause it, not every time at least. Does anyone know about BSOD errors and what this means? I’ve been thinking of reformatting recently because I’ve got so much crap on my computer. I used to do it every 2-3 months but got tired of it so I stopped. Its probably been 5 or 6 months since my last formatting. Would formatting it help or is this some other issue? How can it be resolved?

With Windows XP, the old paradigm of needing to re-format to attain stability is really no longer valid, e.g., reformatting does not resolve your problem.

The BSODs you are experiencing is likely driver related. Try selectively disabling devices in device manager and then start the game most likely to cause a BSOD. Through a process of elimination, you should be able to isolate the offending device and then deal with it either through an updated driver, bios flash, work-around or replacement.

I did a Google search and found other people have had similar STOP codes and it was related to memory issues. I took out one stick and it seemed fine. I rolled back to a couple days ago just in case. But then something with my vid card drivers got screwed up. My only option was 4-bit coloring, LOL! Anyway I decided it was time to reformat because the install was getting sluggish. I needed to update to SP2 anyway, accept the update never worked well for me. Instead I made a slipstreamed copy of my Windows XP Pro disk with SP2. It installed fine and now I'm getting all my programs installed. It feels speedy again :D

Back