• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Networking 3 laptops need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

I have been asked to buy and set up a network for 3 laptops i do not have information of the capabilities of the laptops yet but i will get more information soon.

I just need basic information on what a network includes and what components i need i am interested in using a wireless network as i have heard that it is about the same price as a cabled network would be. So the things i need information on are the following:

-Components needed

-How the components are connected and set up

Any other security information and other details i may need to know.

I am currently reading this guide thats someone gave me it clears up some thing so far but any information would still be greatly appreciated.

You could do a WiFi Ad-hoc network, All you'd need for that is three Wireless NICs at 25-30 a peice for a cheap one. Windows XP SP2 has a nice little utility for doing these.

However Ad-Hoc sucks, I would recommend getting a Access Point too, These start at about $60

Definately use an AP if security is an issue.

Will this be on the internet?

If so, AP goes to the modem with the account info entered (username, DNS, IP, gateway, etc. if not DHCP). Encryption type (WEP/WPA), channel, and NSID/SSID , et. al will also be configured in the AP.

On the laptops, you will configure them for the encryption type specified in the AP and enter the bit-key code (depending on if it's 40, 64, 104, or 128-bits) you made on the AP for each client. Set the channel for each to the same as the AP (may need to play with these if any wireless phones or microwaves are in the area depending on the band the AP and cards use, they can cause interference) and each should find the NSID/SSID when doing a scan for usable networks, or you can just enter the name you assigned to the network in the AP.

It's really quite simple if I confused you. It's basically the same as a wired network, just a few more things need to be assigned other than IP addresses.

Make sure you turn off the SSID broadcast so you don't have your neighbors snooping on your network. Use an AP as mentioned above. A "G" speed router is a preferable type as it's faster but beware the SUPER G wireless network setups. Don't buy them. Enough said. You should try and keep the network consistent. If you have all B wireless cards, stick to the B with the access point.

Last edited:
You could do a WiFi Ad-hoc network, All you'd need for that is three Wireless NICs at 25-30 a peice for a cheap one. Windows XP SP2 has a nice little utility for doing these.

However Ad-Hoc sucks, I would recommend getting a Access Point too, These start at about $60

wats wi-fi adhoc?

Definately use an AP if security is an issue.

Will this be on the internet?

If so, AP goes to the modem with the account info entered (username, DNS, IP, gateway, etc. if not DHCP). Encryption type (WEP/WPA), channel, and NSID/SSID , et. al will also be configured in the AP.

On the laptops, you will configure them for the encryption type specified in the AP and enter the bit-key code (depending on if it's 40, 64, 104, or 128-bits) you made on the AP for each client. Set the channel for each to the same as the AP (may need to play with these if any wireless phones or microwaves are in the area depending on the band the AP and cards use, they can cause interference) and each should find the NSID/SSID when doing a scan for usable networks, or you can just enter the name you assigned to the network in the AP.

It's really quite simple if I confused you. It's basically the same as a wired network, just a few more things need to be assigned other than IP addresses.

Wats AP and yes they will be on the internet. This is realy confusing but im sure once i actualy buy the components ill understand a lot more

Make sure you turn off the SSID broadcast so you don't have your neighbors snooping on your network. Use an AP as mentioned above. A "G" speed router is a preferable type as it's faster but beware the SUPER G wireless network setups. Don't buy them. Enough said. You should try and keep the network consistent. If you have all B wireless cards, stick to the B with the access point.

I dont understand about the b wireless cards and all that and whats a g router?

So this is what i understand so far.

I need a wireless NIC for each laptop then i need an access point for the wireless NIC's to connect to now where does the router go is it connected to the laptops or to the access point? thats basicaly what ive gathered from ur info all the rest about the confiuration settings can wait until i get the network set up also the wireless NIC's what type shall i get for a laptop or is there only one type i was thinking pcmia?

from what i understand ive put together parts im thinking of buying.

Wireless Access Point-

Linksys WAP54G Wireless-G Access Point (NW-001-LS)
The Linksys Wireless-G Access Point lets you connect Wireless-G or Wireless-B devices to the network. Since both standards are built in, you can protect your investment in existing 802.11b infrastructure, and migrate your network clients to the new screaming fast Wireless-G standard as your needs grow.

- Set up a high-speed Wireless-G (draft 802.11g) network in your home or office
- Data rates up to 54Mbps -- 5 times faster than Wireless-B (802.11b)
- Also interoperates with Wireless-B networks (at 11Mbps)
- Advanced wireless security with 128-bit WEP encryption and MAC filtering

Router-

Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router/4-Port Switch (NW-000-LS)
The Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router is really three devices in one box. First, there's the Wireless Access Point, which lets you connect Wireless-G or Wireless-B devices to the network. There's also a built-in 4-port full-duplex 10/100 Switch to connect your wired-Ethernet devices. Connect four PCs directly, or daisy-chain out to more hubs and switches to create as big a network as you need. Finally, the Router function ties it all together and lets your whole network share a high-speed cable or DSL Internet connection.

- All-in-one Internet-sharing Router, 4-port Switch, and Wireless-G (draft 802.11g) Access Point
- Wireless data rates up to 54Mbps -- 5 times faster than Wireless-B (802.11b)
- Shares a single Internet connection and other resources with Ethernet wired and Wireless-G clients
- Advanced wireless security with 128-bit WEP encryption, MAC or IP address filtering

NIC's-

Linksys WPC54GS Wireless-G Notebook Adapter with SpeedBooster (NW-011-LS)
The Wireless-G Notebook Adapter with SpeedBooster incorporates the next generation of Wireless-G. In standard Wireless-G (802.11g) mode, the Notebook Adapter can connect to wireless networks at an incredible 54Mbps. With our new SpeedBooster technology enabled, your "real-world" wireless network performance increases by up to 35%! Unlike other speed-enhancing technologies, SpeedBooster is 802.11 compliant, fully compatible with standard Wireless-G, and a "good neighbor" to other wireless devices and technologies, using a single 2.4GHz channel as specified by the official wireless standard. And, unlike other technologies, with SpeedBooster you'll see an overall speed improvement even when running a mixed network of SpeedBooster and regular Wireless-G devices.

- High-speed Wireless-G networking with SpeedBooster performance enhancement
- New SpeedBooster technology increases performance by up to 35%
- Compatible with standard Wireless-G and Wireless-B networks
- Wireless communications secured with up to 128-bit encryption

Ad-Hoc is where you have a WiFi network without a Access Point (AP) the cards talk to each other without having to go Via a central box like they do with an AP

Here's What you need:

One Wireless Router (These have APs built into them its an all in one box)
A Wireless NIC for each Computer.

You do not need an Access Point and a Router

So I get an NIC for each laptop and a router then the NIC's wirelesly connect to the router then the router connects to the broadband connection is that it or have I missed something out? also what make do u advise to get i wish to get a stable connetion with no additonal upgrades needed. I have also seen many different types of nic's i dont understand what the differences are.

e.g.

Wireless B
Wireless G
and just wireless

11mb
54mb and
108mb

also how do the ghz of the nic affect it and dualband what do all these things mean and how do they affect the working of the network.

thnx guys in advance and i hope u can answer my q's

Edit:

I understand what these are now anymore info would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Just make sure you get a router with a built in DSL Modem.

Wireless B
Wireless G
and just wireless

11mb
54mb and
108mb
11Mbit(2.4ghz) = "B"
54Mbit(2.4ghz) = "G"
54Mbit(5ghz) = "A"
108Mbit(2.4ghz) = "Super-G" (Read about this later on)

also how do the ghz of the nic affect it
There are two Frequencies 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Now 2.4Ghz has been a Unlicenced frequency for quite some time now so many things use it, for example Cord-less telephones. All these devices can sometimes cause interference, so thats why the new 5Ghz frequency has been unlicenced, however 5Ghz Isn't as good range and is usually only used for spefici purposes, 95% of people use a 2.4Ghz product

Note: 108Mbit (Super-G) This is not an offical WiFi standard, Wi-Fi was invented to make sure that all Wireless products work together with each other, so that you didnt need to have cisco cards to go with Cisco Access points etc. But this "Super-G" is not a WiFi Standard, so your suck with one brand, this goes agains the whole ethos of WiFi so this is why you should NOT use 108Mbit Wireless

ok ive came up with the final set up for the network i include the title of the product and the description it gives quite a few details.

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem/Router/Switch/Firewall-

This 802.11g wireless router adds considerable power and flexibility to your network. Five products in one, it combines an ADSL modem, router, 10/100 LAN switch, 802.11g access point, and SPI True Firewall. It gives you untethered continuous connectivity to your network resources and the Internet, and allows you to share your broadband access with all of your networked computers wireless or with wires using Ethernet cables. Featuring high-speed 802.11g wireless capability – up to five times faster than 802.11b – it allows you to download large files, videoconference, and distribute and play high-quality digital movies, photos, and MP3s in the blink of an eye. Simple to use, it plugs directly into your ADSL line. An integrated switch lets you directly connect four computers or any combination of four computers, access points or printers. Setup couldn’t be easier – NETGEAR’s Smart Wizard install assistant and on-screen help guide you through each step. The Smart Wizard automatically detects and makes the best connection to your ISP. True Firewall protects your network with business-class security against intruders, including logs and alerts of break-in attempts, while VPN pass-through makes it safe to connect to your business network from home or office. The contemporary, sleek design of this unit suits your home or office. Future upgrades to firmware can be obtained via the Internet.

- Combines modem, router, switch, 802.11g access point, and SPI true firewall
- Up to 5 times faster than 802.11b
- True Firewall with Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) & Intrusion Control, Denial of Service (DoS)
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) pass-through
- Smart Wizard detects/connects to your ISP
- Works with both 802.11g & 802.11b

NIC's x3

Netgear WG511 54Mbps Wireless PC Card 32-bit CardBus (NW-009-NG)
Freedom of movement and flexibility of access – NETGEAR's 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card gives you both in spades! Designed to the 802.11g draft specification, this versatile PC card offers speeds up to nearly five times faster than widely deployed IEEE 802.11b wireless networks found in homes, businesses, and public wireless hotspots around the globe. This versatile PC card works with either wireless standard, 802.11b or 802.11g, to keep you connected today and tomorrow. Put it in your notebook PC and no matter where you are, at home, at the office, at the airport or in other public access areas, this versatile adapter automatically selects the best connection available, giving you constant access to corporate resources, e-mail, and the Internet. Use it to quickly network employees, saving the time and expense of Ethernet cabling. Easy to set up and use, it auto-selects the best available connection and adapts the settings to match. NETGEAR's intuitive Install Wizard makes driver installation a cinch. And with up to 128-bit WEP encryption, you can rest assured that your wireless network communications are private.

- 802.11g 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card
- Fully compliant with both IEEE 802.11b and draft 802.11g (both 2.4 GHz)
- Wireless LAN Manager for location-specific profiles
- Uses 128-bit WEP encryption Industry-standard security technology
- Supports MAC address authentication

this is hopefuly my final set up any conflicts or problems please point them out and could anyone point me in the direction of a security guide for securing a wireless network and any information or tips i need to know before i actualy set this up

im not sure on the make i should go with netgear seems reliable from what i have heard but d-link seems very widespread with a wider range of products to choose from does anyone have nay advice on what make to go with

My friend has a d-link wireless router/acess point and it seems to work quite well. of course I dont really have any experience with any other brands so I dont have anything to compare it to.

You'd be safe with either of them. I'm a little partial to NetGear products, but only because I've used them longer. I've had plenty of D-Link products too, though. I'd just shop for what I'm looking for then go with whichever brand can give it to you for the least amount of cash.

Back