• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800 XT slowing down CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrSlinky

This seems a little weird to me, but the tests don't lie.

I just upgraded the video card from the 9600 XT to the X800 XT, and naturally, I expected to see some serious performance gains. So I ran 3Dmark 03 and 05, before and after. With the X800 XT, the CPU tests have slowed to a crawl. We're talking a massive ONE FPS.

Anyone know why this could be happening?

youre saying before when you ran 3DMark05 with your 9600xt you got more than 1-2 frames on the cpu portion on 05? I mean we basically have the same CPU and thats all I get in 05. So I don't really see a problem. What was your score? With that ram and your overall setup you should be in the 5900's on 05, and mid to high 13,000 on 03. If you are close to that area your fine. When the cpu test is running its testing just, that cpu. The video card is not really using any resources during the cpu test.

Yeah, I definately got better CPU test FPS when I had the 9600 XT.

I'm getting 11467 in '03, and 3929 in '05. Huge gains over the old scores, but the CPU tests had me worried.

I doubt it. How many times have you run the tests?

03 and 05 both seem a little low, as there almost 100% video card related, unless you have like a P1 50mhz or somet, lol.

What drivers you using?

Do you still have your old card? if so simply replace the new with the old and run a video with windows media player(not a dvd but a film clip) then control+alt+del and look at the cpu usage, get an average usage over a few seconds of the clip, then put in the new card and do the same thing. If your new vid card is using more resources youll find out for sure doing this. And as Grov had asked, which drivers set are you using?

edit* your scores should be higher, same CPU, but your cooling and your ram smokes mine. 11467 in '03 is not that bad but 3929 in '05sems a bit low. What are the clock speed on your vid card (update your sig)

Drivers are 4.10

I turned on the Overdrive, and the scores creeped up a bit (11650 and 4025), but nothing impressive.

GPU's at 506, and the memory's at 500.

Oh yeah, the card is a Gigabyte X800 XT VIVO

Last edited:
dump the offical 4.10's they do not have the memory fix with cards that have 256mb memory. Bet either the ATI 8,07 hotfix or the latest omega 2.5.90 (based on the 8.07) You should see your scores go up with these driver sets. The new offical Catalyst 4.10 is actually based on the 8.062's and they blow. Also don't get the catalyst control center. Just use ati control panel or Omegas radlinker interface. You can overclock better through ATITools .22 version anyow.

I'll give that a try now. I've also been tinkering with the Gigabyte OC utility, and got my '05 up to 4101.

DrSlinky said:
5421 in '05 using the 8.07 drivers. Thanks a bunch!

Heheheheh much much better, still a little low though, or maybe not for a non Platinum Edition?

Update your sig! :clap:

Back