• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot Time doubled...wtf?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prankstar008

I just added an old 7 GB ata66 drive to my system. It is configured as the slave on the same IDE channel as my primary ATA 100 windows drive. Ever since i added this drive my boot time has nearly doubled. What gives and if your suggestion is to move my primary drive to an SATA channel (using the converter that comes w/ abit boards) how would I install the SATA driver w/o having to reinstall windows??? Thanks.

Take that old hard drive off of your Primary IDE channel, and the problem should be solved. Configure it to run on the Secondary IDE channel if you really need to use it (though it's hard to make a case for using such an antiquated drive these days what with the cheap prices for new drives).

My other IDE channel is full with 2 optical drives....and being a 16 yr old I spend all my money on gas, not hard drives...i use the drive mainly for backin up quicken, my webpage, word docs, and other important thigs.

Try moving the 7G to the SATA channel using the adapter?

Do you really need the old 7GB drive?

just put one of the optical drives on the primary IDE as slave and the 7GB 66 on the space you made from moving the Optical drive. That way when you doing any cd burning, you can also copy on the fly without encountering any problems

i just got my hands on a 15 GB maxtor drive...thats TWICE the capacity; w00t. I still want to know how to get the SATA converter to work with out having to re-install windows and installing the SATA controler from windows setup (ya know the "press f6 to install a 3rd party driver")

Yes but unless I install the SATA driver while I'm installing windows, booting to the SATA locks up the computer right at the splash screen. (which means it is detecting the drive) I also just remembered that while building my brothers computer which also has an NF7-S the SATA drives would not work unless a PS2 mouse was pluged in. (it is some wierd BIOS glitch that was fixed after I flashed to a newer BIOS) I'll try this with a PS2 mouse instead of my USB one (or use the converter) and see how it goes. Thanks

weird.... im using a s-ata drive (maxtor 120gb/8mb) but never had to install any s-ata drivers... windows installed as if it were a p-ata drive..

Back