• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broke My 74gb Raptor Sata connector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi,

As i was fiddling with my computer, I pulled my sata cable by mistake and it snapped off the plastic supporting thing for the sata cable. I can still get the drive to work, if i stick that little plastic "L" into the sata cable and then stick that onto the drive, but if moves around, then windows screws up...

What can I do? Could I send it back to Western Digital to get a repair? replacement?

Ive tried that, but everytime I remove the sata cable, it dislodges it. Plus, I think i might want to sell my raptor, and I dont want to sell it like this.

Here are some pics I just took:

October%2030%20008.jpg

October%2030%20009.jpg

Edited by SSS, NO TRADING OUTSIDE THE CLASSIFIEDS

I can prob rig some Ghetto setup to fix that problem where connection is flaky

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, you can't sell in the storage forums, but you CAN fix that! :D

The number two rule that every modder should know is:
2.) Super Glue is HORRIBLE GARBAGE, if you want anything to stick together, use 1 hour/24 hour epoxy(two tubes mixed together) or JB Weld!

I would use epoxy if I were you, unless you plan on swinging the hard drive by the cable. This stuff is cheap, easy to get(pharmacies, Home Depot, some times gas stations) and easy to use. Go get some epoxy!

The number one rule is a secret. ;)

YAY! Western Digital says that the drive is still under warrenty! They are shipping me a new one! I love WD!

Here's something cool that I got when I bought my Raptor from someone at AT. It's most certainly doing its job since nothing has broken yet. It's a good investment if you plan on unplugging/plugging your HD a lot.

I would have just taken an old SATA cable, cut off one end, and soldered the cable directly to the HDD. That way you never have to worry about the cable having problems again. OH and use Epoxy or JBweld to permenantly connect the cable to the HDD :D

Problem solved!

Foxy

WOW! That really sucks. It doesn't look that bad though. Can you get a replacement through the warrenty? If not then you can always use DUCT TAPE. lol

Vio1 said:
YAY! Western Digital says that the drive is still under warrenty! They are shipping me a new one! I love WD!

i posted this a few scrolls up. :-/

The new drive is on ebay now... and Its selling for more then you can buy it from newegg.... IM HAPPY!

Vio1 said:

The new drive is on ebay now... and Its selling for more then you can buy it from newegg.... IM HAPPY!

If the New drive is on Ebay, where's the old one? Usually one has to return the old drive to get a new one. Or use a credit card or your business account and WD sends you a new one first.

I've had the same thing happen twice. Once WD wouldn't support it 'cause I didn't have a credit card on hand but GameVE supported the warrenty. The second, I'm still using. This was on a 36g. I hate SATA - what a crappy connector.

Vio1 said:

You're selling it? You have 2 74 gig raptors for the price of one and a mobo with an onboard SATA RAID controller and you're not running in a RAID 0 config? Are you nuts? I'd give you $20 to keep both of them! (don't hold me to that)

I actually had something like this almost happen to me, but instead of the HD breaking the cable connector did. I guess I got lucky.

Also, I don't think he has two drives, WD will send you a new one if you give them a CC number and then you can send them your broken one within 30 days. That's probably what he did. Of course, if you don't send them the broken one then you have two :p

Silversinksam said:
If the New drive is on Ebay, where's the old one? Usually one has to return the old drive to get a new one. Or use a credit card or your business account and WD sends you a new one first.

The whole process has already undergone. I had them send me a new drive first (they froze $200 on my VISA), which arrived a few days after I requested it. I then sent my old raptor to them and put my new one on ebay.

It sold!

And i won a Fujitsu 73gb MAS3735 15000rpm SCSI drive! Cant wait for it to arrive.

Back