• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dremels

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberey66

Hi, I'm new to case modding. I'm not new to overclocking, just the cutting part of case modding. Well, I want to pick up a Dremel and use it for my case. What is a good model to get. I'm guessing the cordless ones are a bad choose. I saw the Dremel MultiPro kit. That looks like a good kit. I'll use my case a guinnea pig for adding come new fans. I know dremels are bad for holes, but I'll try the compass, drill, and Dremel method. Draw a circle, drill around it, and smooth out with a dremel.

I dont know about different model numbers but, the cordless ones are great for getting into spots..The one ive got is a corded 5 speed it came in a carrying box with about 25 pieces it cost about 70$

It is possible to cut nice round holes with a dremel! No-one believes me!! :(

Here's some pics I'll be using in the write-up of my big watercooling project. As long as you're careful, you can get a nice round hole using just the ordinary cutoff wheels and the sanding bits to smooth the edges off.

Marking the hole:
marking.jpg

Cutting the hole:
nearly.jpg

Cleaning it up:
cleaning.jpg

The finished hole with the fan and grill installed:
done.jpg

As for which model to get, make sure you get a corded one (like you said, don't bother with cordless versions) with variable speed - mine has 5 speed settings ranging I think from 15k rpm to 33k rpm.

Dremels are great for round holes. They don't beat the ease of a hole saw, but round holes can be done.

As for what model. I don't know which I have. But I got one in a long case that comes with a Multi-Speed Pro, a rechargeable cordless, and the long snake neck (which is a god send when working in tight corners of your case). It was $79 at Home Depot a year ago. If you can find that setup, you'll be grinning. And the rechargeable is great, it only has to speeds, slow and slower, but it's perfect for working on plastic. You cut the plastic, not melt it.

I was gonna get a dremel but when i went to Walmart to get it, i seen the black and decker rtx it was like 60 bucks and and came with a case and 55 pices, it also can use dremel parts plus their own.

Would something like a greenlee punch be good for modding? I have access to a nice one at work and would make the holes pretty easy to make :)

*edit* im the type with shaky hands when trying to do something that requires thinking ;) so don't think I'd be too good with a dremel.. hehe :)

*edit* on another note.. went to ebay just to do a search for dremels and came up with this model.. not sure what you're looking for but.. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1271986173

Last edited:
I saw that there are alot of dremel multipro cordless going for $30-$40 on ebay. I might pick one of those up.

Nate-X said:
Would something like a greenlee punch be good for modding? I have access to a nice one at work and would make the holes pretty easy to make :)

If you can get ahold of one big enough for your purposes, use it. They are the ideal solution since the hole they leave is perfectly round, and it's faster and easier than a whole saw.

I also have the RTX and would recomend it over the dremal for a few reasons.

1. It has a better grip for detailing

2. Its a little cheaper

3. Its more powerfull for hardcore cutting

4. and its orange ...hmmmm:p

I bought a Dremel- used it 3 minutes and the brush mount/switch melted!! So, after blowing $50 on that, I went to WallyWorld and bought a cheapo, $20 job that use the same bits (even the 3 foot attachment!) and it works great!!!

A few holes cut, more to come. Maybe I should just mount my pc's in swiss cheese?

Back