• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which fortron 550 or 530

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What are you going to be using it on? Given several of the most recent threads, the Fortrons, Antecs, and other psu's now don't supply enough amperage on the 12V rail to support a A64 setup. So if you plan on going A64 anytime soon, pick up a OCZ Powerstream 470 or 520W. Both have double the amperage of the Fortron. Otherwise, I own the Fortron 530W, and it works great. Haven't had to adjust my rails yet, because they are still rock steady.

Depends what system you plan to use it with - for really high 12v draws, I'd use the 550w, but for most systems the 530w is more than enough. They're both very sturdy units.

Uhh, the 550W is for dual Xeons only... "Fortron 550W EPS12V PSU, Supports Dual Xeon CPU, Model "FSP550-60PLN" -OEM"

The 530W is the one to get for AMD or P4. I'm sure you could get some adapters for the 550W, but that is a hassle.

I'm using for A64
6800gt
8 high cfm fans
audigy 2
1 gig ram,
so which psu you guys recommand, don't want to spend too much on PSU

Go with the one you can best afford - they will both easily handle the system. The 530's 18a@12v rating is very conservative.

enduro said:
Given several of the most recent threads, the Fortrons, Antecs, and other psu's now don't supply enough amperage on the 12V rail to support a A64 setup. So if you plan on going A64 anytime soon, pick up a OCZ Powerstream 470 or 520W

I still call big time BS. My Fortron 530W never lets my +12v go below 12v, and my Clawhammer is even more power hungry than the newer Winchesters, especially along with the level of voltage I feed it.

Gautam said:
I still call big time BS. My Fortron 530W never lets my +12v go below 12v, and my Clawhammer is even more power hungry than the newer Winchesters, especially along with the level of voltage I feed it.

Good to hear Gautam I was looking into getting one of these PSU's and then the warning of A64 problems kinda scared me. Good to hear the Forton is still the price/performance king.

I still call big time BS

I'm getting this from Sententials thread. He's having psu problems, and recently purchased the OCZ Powerstream. I'm saying buy that, because you won't have to upgrade your psu at all, for many years. Sen's tried an Antec 430 and 550W, and neither have supplied enough power. That's still up in the air though, because he hasn't recieved his OCZ psu yet. I'm glad to hear the I won't have to upgrade my psu though, I just bought my Fortron about a month ago.

Here's the thread, just read pg 15 on up.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=338031&page=15&pp=30

I run my dualie on the 550w forton.... but its a EPS powersupply, which is a 24pin connector instead of a 20pin connector. So you'd have to go with the 530w... which is supports standard atx boards. i'm sure the 530w is also a good powersupply.

I only got 1 HD, but I could get a 24pin-20pin adapter and use the 550w will that work?

Hmm...I'd be careful, because IIRC EPS PSU's don't have either the -5 or -12v RAIL...I tried doing a conversion with an antec 500 EPS PSU and I could only get PCI video cards to work and I'm pretty sure it was because there was no -5 or -12v rail.

okay than a fortron 530 is good enough?? or do I have to spend the extra to buy ocz powerstream

The Fortron 550w has -5 and -12, not that they would even be used by a modern system. The 530w will do fine. No, you don't need to spend extra on the OCZ - they're getting popular, but aren't quite at Fortron levels of build quality yet.

I had big problems with my FSP-530 and RMA'd it after I think it killed two MSI K8N A64 motherboards. It was awesome with my AthlonXP rig, but the +12V demands of the A64 was too much for it.

so the 12V on fortron is not enough for a64? so what PSU I should get OCZ?

Remember, everyone has an oppinion. Some have had great succes with Fortron on many differant systems, while some have had issues.
I personally feel you can't go wrong with Fortron especially for the price.

The new OCZ are nice, but expensive. I would get the new fortron 500 watt that has 30 amps on the 12 line :). It also comes sleeved and with easy connect molex connectors.

Back