• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Athlon 64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OLMI

What is the nicest Athlon 64 I can get for overclocking? For example, the Athlon Mobile 2600+'s are really nice for Socket A. I don't want to spend $283 on this when I could get the same performance for something cheaper, hehe.

OLMI said:
What is the nicest Athlon 64 I can get for overclocking? For example, the Athlon Mobile 2600+'s are really nice for Socket A. I don't want to spend $283 on this when I could get the same performance for something cheaper, hehe.
At this point of time? Winchesters, look for reviews on the 3000+, although I understand there's still no standout mobo for this at the moment. Checking Pricewatch.com I notice there's an OEM part at Monarch for $160. Hmmm...

I want the 3000+ winchester with MSI K8n Neo2... Ive heard good and bad things but I don't care ive heard the same about DFI and thats my fav brand board.

yeah the 3000+ winchester coupled with msi neo2 is the best that can get for the moment or just wait a bit for nforce 4 mobo

The nforce4 mobo will only have PCI-E, though, right? I just had to buy a new AGP video card. :( Is it worth it to switch from socket 754 to 939? I really like how the DFI 250gb UT looks. :(

Also, is the best board for socket 939 the MSI? I didn't know they made good boards... Is it the K8N Neo2 Platinum?

yeah the nf4 board will be coupled with pci-e
you have already a good card so no need for update
i think that it worth it to update from 754 to 939
1) 3000+ s939 is cheap under 200$
2)dual channel ddr(i love memory bandwith)
3)winchester is 0.09micr it will perform better than a newcastle at the same frequency
4)overclock as good as newcastle 2.5 2.6ghz still possible with air cooling
5)u can match the fx 53, 55 performance
more info check this
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2242
best mobo for the moment is K8N Neo2 Platinum

Best is an extremely relative term. Really impossible to say what that means to an individual. Probably the most important factor in deciding this is "how much are you willing to spend?"

That being said, the 3200+ appears to be in the price/performance ratio sweet spot at the moment.

makaka said:

Holy cow! That's crazy! I can't believe that's just air cooled... My water cooling setup will do great with something like that. How much do you think that'll be by Christmas?

method().man said:
Best is an extremely relative term. Really impossible to say what that means to an individual. Probably the most important factor in deciding this is "how much are you willing to spend?"

That being said, the 3200+ appears to be in the price/performance ratio sweet spot at the moment.

Well, I'm just trying to get an idea of some nice hardware that will be cheap by around Christmas. :D

OLMI said:
Well, I'm just trying to get an idea of some nice hardware that will be cheap by around Christmas. :D

Well heck, if it's a Christmas present, just choose the best one you can squeeze out of your relatives/loved ones ;)

method().man said:
Well heck, if it's a Christmas present, just choose the best one you can squeeze out of your relatives/loved ones ;)
Haha... Well, let me get this straight. The Winchesters are the best? So, the 3500+ will overclock just as well as the 3000+?

I wouldn't go as far as saying that Winchesters are the "best." They're the newest process (90nm as opposed to .13 micron on the older procs), but from what we've seen they're not necessarily overclocking any better.

On average, a 3500+ will clock higher than a 3000+... but that's always the case (a higher rated CPU will generall always have a better chance at getting a high clock speed).

I guess it just comes down to whether I want my parents to buy my processor and motherboard, or just a processor (because the 3500+ is like $100 dollars more, lol). Thanks for all the help, buddies! :D

Charlie at XS has it stable at about 2.8 or so, so it's not completely stable. However, I think it would be a bit unfair to say all are doing that. On average, winchester is hitting maybe 50-100mhz more, 150-200mhz more if you count the process size difference, so it's the better choice, but not by much.

3200 Mobile, DFI 754. Get the cache then. :D

LOL you can't really go wrong wit either, though the mobile will most likely o/c better. Ive yet to see how people come to the conclusion that winchesters are like the ****zle.

yup! :) The 64 mobile looks different than the desktop in that doesnt have that little heatspreader/top thingy, so u can see the core, sorta like the older amd procs. I would stay with the desktops for simplicity tho. :rolleyes:

Alright. Thank you all a ton for your help with my Athlon 64 question. :D

Last edited:
Back