• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD2000 Problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechtonicPC

Member, formerly Surfrat
WD 200GB

Has anyone had any trouble with these drives? I bought one about a year ago from a local retailer. It lasted 4 months and then started clicking... (it was dead!)

I RMAd it to Western Digital and received another 200gb drive.

Well this one lasted me about 8months. It is not clicking, but last my computer shut down while surfin the net. Tried to reboot and got some errors. Attempted to reinstall windows and the drive would not format.

Just in case it could have been something else, I hooked it to my second puter. Still drive wont format. Tried everything and finally called for yet another RMA.

Is this normal? The model is WD2000

WD says they are experiencing no problems with htis drive. Am I that unlucky to get 2 bad drive in 1 years time?

It is probably a fluke.

Way back in the day (when 3GB HDDS were considered big :D ) I installed a Maxtor 3GB into his machine. It lasted 8 months and started clicking. I RMAed it and that one lasted a month. RMAed it again and his replacement was a 10GB and it is still running to this day.

I recently purchased 5 WD200GB HDDs for nightly backups for my work and they are running like champs so far.

Every once in a while, you can get a lemon. Most of the time, that happens very rarely.

If it happens AGAIN with the 2nd RMA drive, call up WD and unload on them and see if you can get a brand new HDD. Or better yet a brand new 250GB. :)

Foxy

Back