• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need new hard drive fast!!! help me pick one!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theMonster

Disabled
My HD flatlined last night and is on life support right now. I'm reinstalling XP on a 25GB Maxtor 5400RPM HD to try to retrieve all my important crap off of my 40GB 7200RPM WD Caviar.

Here's my choices and I'm open to more, not wanting to spend much though.

Samsung 120GB 7200RPM 8MB ATA133 $80
WD 80GB 7200RPM 8MB ATA100 $60

Those are the two leading candidates. I wanted a Raptor, but it looks like those are all SATA which I don't have. Is there really a big difference between ATA100 and ATA133?????

go w/the samsung
its a good brand + more storage for the money (space:money ratio)

Since I havnt heard anything for a while about Samsung reliability, I would stay away from the Samsung personally. The had a reputation of dieing when you really needed them.

Of course it has been a while so their QC could be much better now.

My suggestion would still be to go with the WD 80GB. Be safe!

Foxy

I'm leaning the WD way now......I'll be ordering it tomorrow and trying to recover my crap tonight. I read that ATA100 vs 133 is no big deal. I've had a couple of WD drives go bad on me, but they've lasted for 4-5 years or more. This drive just gave NO warning. Is it correct that the Raptors are SATA only??

ATA133 doesnt offer any benefit, really. The Samsung drives have been fine for me - I have the 120GB/8MB cache/7200rpm/SATA model and its been fantastic.

i vote WD...dont like Samsung...they make too many different products...makes them feel kinda generic

WD order placed!! Now, hopefully I can recover my photos and tax forms. :mad: I'll know in a couple of hours :( :-/

If it doesn't work, try booting the system with Slax live (or the other HD) and throwing the HD in a zip-lock bag and into the freezer for about an hour. That will finish off the HD, but it might work for 30min-1 hour, giving you ample time to back your stuff up. I was able to do that with my 2nd failed HD.

i vote you spend 9.99 more and buy the seagate 120gb 8mb cache with 5 year warrentee from newegg.co and we can go on this adventure together :) also, the seagate has faster access times and is tested to be notably more quite both load and idle. just my .02 cents :)
+'s:
faster access times
2 years more years warrentee
notabley more quite

That drive was actually $20 more. My 40GB seems to be working now that I've reformatted it, but I'm not going to trust it. It'll now become the slave and the new 80GB Western Digital will become the master. The old WD 40GB 7200RPM was 2MB cache and the new one is 8mb, so hopefully it'll be noticably faster.

depthad said:
i vote you spend 9.99 more and buy the seagate 120gb 8mb cache with 5 year warrentee from newegg.co and we can go on this adventure together :) also, the seagate has faster access times and is tested to be notably more quite both load and idle. just my .02 cents :)
+'s:
faster access times
2 years more years warrentee
notabley more quite

I have to agree with depthad on the Seagate. I might be a little more but I have never had a Seagate die on me for any reason and plus they did just start the 5 yr warrenty program on all their drive which in the past was a luzary only to the SCSI owners. If you have already placed the order then that is fine, but if you decide you need more storage soon, so with a Seagate.

Back