• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need the Fastest Cd-Rom Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi, I bought the Toshiba 16x dual layer dvd burner a few months ago, and I am not happy at all with its cd-rom reading ability. I want to keep the drive for burning things, but I want to get a secondary cd-rom drive I can use to run programs and install things from.
What is the fastest cd-rom drive available?
I remember the Kenwood true-x 72x drives, but they stoped making them, and only really old drives are available on ebay.

Any recommendations?

Out of the currently available cd-rom drives,
which would you recommend?

Asus 52X CD-ROM
BenQ 656A 56X CD-ROM
LG 52X CD-ROM
LiteOn 52X CD-ROM
Sony 52X CD-ROM

I've had two Lite-Ons and been less-than-impressed with both. My DVD burner is really noisy when reading stuff, and my old one just crapped out on my really early. I would also stay away from Sony, personally. Asus or the BenQ, they're both going to be just as fast realistically.

Go for this one

8mb buffer (will make a difference in speed, currently plextor's are the only 8mb buffered drives out that I know of), 52x read speed, and its a CD-RW burner to boot.
If your looking for speed this is probably your best bet.

Otherwise I'd go with the asus.

Back