• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech Radbox Sufficient for Powerful System?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
About To Order Parts - Quick Advice!

Ok. After some thorough research, I am ready to officially order. Here is the setup as follows:

Black Ice Pro 120mm or D-Tek Pro Core 120mm
MCP 6002-A for Athlon XP
MCB-120 Radbox
Sanyo Denki 120mm Fan
7 ft 1/2" O/D Tubing
Swiftech MCP 650 Pump
2 oz Hyrdrix
Swiftech MC-Res 5.25 Bay (Same as Dangerden) Found here

My last questions are concerning the fittings. At the moment, I only have plans to W/C the CPU. I am not too concerned about insane GPU clocks, but I will most likely entertain the idea at a later time. With that being said here is how I have decided to setup the system (I apologize for the rough picture, and you may have to enlarge to get the best idea):

Tentative%20Watercooling.JPG

My questions to you are:

1. Do I need to buy Hoze Clamps (if this is a yes this is no problem whatsoever). Or will these
suffice?

2. Given my current setup, do I need any 3/8 - > 1/2" fittings of any sort? Through research I have become much more knowledgable in the fundamentals of watercooling. However, I am still very unclear about this matter. If someone were to be so kind as to enlighten me I would greatly appreciate it.

deception``

also - i have the radbox and it is 3/8" id for the pci-pass through - but your cpu block is 1/2" id and possibly your rad is 1/2" id so you will have to figure out if you can get your 3/8" stuff to fit all of those 1/2" spots....

and if you are doing some intense overclocking i have found that the single 120 dtek has troubles keeping up.......so ive already moved up to the 77 bonneville - to be installed!!

arctic - hense why I suggested the 77 boniville heatercore. Its MUCH cheaper then the other one he wants, and it does a better job. Ive been using the 2-302 for over 5 months now, and it works perfect. Best $18.99 Ive spend on my computer.

arctic-k20 said:
also - i have the radbox and it is 3/8" id for the pci-pass through - but your cpu block is 1/2" id and possibly your rad is 1/2" id so you will have to figure out if you can get your 3/8" stuff to fit all of those 1/2" spots....

and if you are doing some intense overclocking i have found that the single 120 dtek has troubles keeping up.......so ive already moved up to the 77 bonneville - to be installed!!

So, if I were to use the radbox, then I would need at least two 3/8 - > 1/2" fittings to properly tube the system? Also, I will entertain the idea of two cores, but I simply wanted a basic system to familiarize myself with. Furthermore, at the moment I only have plans to cool the CPU, so I don't think that a single core solution will be too much of a problem (correct me if I am mistaken here). Lastly, I plan on taking a trip to my local autoparts store to see if I cannot find an appropriate heatercore substitute.

deception``

Deception... when you go to look for a heatercore, ask for a 77 chevette, with or without AC. this is a 1 x 120mm heatercore, single pass.

Thats your best bet to get. Also when you pick out and buy your watercooling system, I would try to find all 1/2" parts, so you dont need to go from 3/8" to 1/2"

arctic-k20 said:

Can't I just use 3/8" tubing for the Rad - > Rabox, then convert to 1/2" once I thread the tubing in the case? Aside from the Radbox, the Waterblock, Res, and Pump are all 1/2".

deception``

Won't the 3/8" tubing ruin the water flow to the point where it defeats the purpose of the 1/2" tubing?

lomend said:
Won't the 3/8" tubing ruin the water flow to the point where it defeats the purpose of the 1/2" tubing?

I am not exactly sure. I have no problem using 3/8 tubing exclusively to work with the Radbox, but it was my understanding that 1/2" tubing allows for a greater flow rate. Nonetheless, I suppose than I can use fittings to connect 3/8" tubing to the MCP 6002-A. Would anyone be so kind as to share their thoughts on the matter?

deception``

well here is my take on it. If you are running 1/2" on everything, and move to 3/8" on the box, the only time it would matter and cause flow problems is if you go from bigger to smaller in your flow. Generally you want to stick to the same size for everthing. Now if you went 5/8" on your radbox, and 1/2" all around, you wont notice anything.

I dont know if you will notice any flow change going from 1/2" to 3/8" on the inlet and then 3/8" to 1/2" on the outlet of the radbox.

Hense the reason I suggested the heatercore, 77 chevette, because with little modification if will accept 1/2" its its only as big as 1 x 120mm, roughly same size as the radbox.

Another important thing to remember, there are 2 different 1/2" or any tubing for that matter. Its important to specifiy which you have.

1/2" ID - inner diamiter
1/2" OD - outer diamiter

All the blocks and pumps you suggested have a 1/2" OD and the tubing you want, wether it be clearflex60 or Tygon, you want it to be 5/8" OD and 1/2" ID.

Hope this helps you out deception.

*edit*
Just my 2cents on the CPU block. I would suggest the TDX, in your previous post you said you where going to use the same watercooling kit when you move to a A64 setup. With that being said I know you can buy a new lucite top from DD for $11. This way you dont have to spend more money when you move to an A64.
I faced this same problem when I went from Intel to AMD.

Last edited:
Osirus said:
well here is my take on it. If you are running 1/2" on everything, and move to 3/8" on the box, the only time it would matter and cause flow problems is if you go from bigger to smaller in your flow. Generally you want to stick to the same size for everthing. Now if you went 5/8" on your radbox, and 1/2" all around, you wont notice anything.

I dont know if you will notice any flow change going from 1/2" to 3/8" on the inlet and then 3/8" to 1/2" on the outlet of the radbox.

Hense the reason I suggested the heatercore, 77 chevette, because with little modification if will accept 1/2" its its only as big as 1 x 120mm, roughly same size as the radbox.

Another important thing to remember, there are 2 different 1/2" or any tubing for that matter. Its important to specifiy which you have.

1/2" ID - inner diamiter
1/2" OD - outer diamiter

All the blocks and pumps you suggested have a 1/2" OD and the tubing you want, wether it be clearflex60 or Tygon, you want it to be 5/8" OD and 1/2" ID.

Hope this helps you out deception.

*edit*
Just my 2cents on the CPU block. I would suggest the TDX, in your previous post you said you where going to use the same watercooling kit when you move to a A64 setup. With that being said I know you can buy a new lucite top from DD for $11. This way you dont have to spend more money when you move to an A64.
I faced this same problem when I went from Intel to AMD.

I understand exactly where you are coming from. However, let me just say that the pci pass-through of the Radbox ONLY accepts 3/8 tubing, so I cannot use 1/2 tubing exclusively. Furthermore, There is no way for me to properly mount a radiator in my current case without modification, which I am not willing to do at this time (this coolermaster is a beauty). Hence, my only option is to either move from 3/8 - > 1/2 tubing or use 3/8 entirely.

Lastly, I should add that I do not mind having to purchase another waterblock in my jump to A64. Furthermore, most of the tests I have seen show the Swiftech to be a clear winner over the more expensive TDX. It is for this reason why I have chosen a largely Swiftech combo for it's price and it's performance being that it is in-fact a non-DIY solution.

deception``

I got ya... I was un-aware you were going to use a pci pass-through. If you can find a adaptor that will go from 3/8" - 1/2" and not cause alot of flow problems, then it will work fine, I would highly doubt you would notice a difference.

Osirus said:
I got ya... I was un-aware you were going to use a pci pass-through. If you can find a adaptor that will go from 3/8" - 1/2" and not cause alot of flow problems, then it will work fine, I would highly doubt you would notice a difference.

Do you think I will take a huge performance hit buy running 3/8" tubing and a single-rad (paired with a STRONG 120+ cfm 120mm fan?) For reference, here are some pictures of how the Radbox works for some better clarification (taken from sidewindercomputers):

radbox66.gif

radbox55.gif

radbox33.gif

deception``

well you might notice a differnece if you use all 3/8". Generally the bigger the tubing, the more water flow, the more heat is displaced, the better the cooling. I dont have any charts to compair, but when I was on the market for watercooling stuff, this is what I was told. I saw on citricool there are a 3/8" to 1/2" adaptor that will fit in a PCI slot. so you might want to check into that one. that wouldnt limit the flow a whole a lot.
Your biggest thing is you want as little resistance as possible.

Osirus said:
well you might notice a differnece if you use all 3/8". Generally the bigger the tubing, the more water flow, the more heat is displaced, the better the cooling. I dont have any charts to compair, but when I was on the market for watercooling stuff, this is what I was told. I saw on citricool there are a 3/8" to 1/2" adaptor that will fit in a PCI slot. so you might want to check into that one. that wouldnt limit the flow a whole a lot.
Your biggest thing is you want as little resistance as possible.

Hrm I checked the website and saw no such adapter. Nevertheless, I e-mailed Sidewinder in regards to my dilemma and expect a reply tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to work out a fairly-priced and easy-to-install setup that can finally take me off of air.

deception``

or just do what i did and remove a pci cover and feed the 1/2" tubing through the slot and dont use the 3/8" pass-through !!

the radbox pci-pass through bracket (not tubes) has holes with diameter of 7/16"... if you can find something to replace the default pass thru tubes, u might be able to connect 1/2"ID tubing on both sides of the pass through...

Back