• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best way to defragment a drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jognt

All round good guy
I've noticed that the windows 2000/windows XP defragmenter is pretty worthless.. i defragmented the drive of my GF's PC and when it was done, it was still recomending me to defrag it :s

What programs do you use to defragment a drive? which ones are there, benefits/downsides?

any free ones? :-/

I'm using DiskKeeper, its great.
It has boot time defrag for the swapfile, and it can even move your swapfile to the outer tracks for better access time.
It also has a neat feature of "Set it and forget it" which you can set to defrag when you comp is idle.
Really good software.

Diskeeper 9, just came out, there is a trial, and the software is about 60 dollars I believe.

I received 8 as a gift with one of the components I bought a while back, love the software.

well, i downloaded the trial version of Diskeeper 8.0 from their website, but unfortunatly, the installer told me that it can be used with just about every windows version, but not 2000.. (mine)

*/me wanders of, disappointed*

O&O defrag is by far the best out there. It does cost money though. If you want something free PerfectDisk is the best.

Jognt said:
well, i downloaded the trial version of Diskeeper 8.0 from their website, but unfortunatly, the installer told me that it can be used with just about every windows version, but not 2000.. (mine)

*/me wanders of, disappointed*

Windows 95 Diskeeper 8.0 Home or Professional Edition
Windows 98 Diskeeper 8.0 Home or Professional Edition
Windows Me Diskeeper 8.0 Home or Professional Edition
Windows XP Home Diskeeper 8.0 Home or Professional Edition
Windows NT Diskeeper 8.0 Professional Edition
Windows 2000 Diskeeper 8.0 Professional Edition
Windows XP Professional Diskeeper 8.0 Professional Edition
Windows XP Tablet PC Diskeeper 8.0 Professional Edition
Windows XP Media Center Diskeeper 8.0 Professional Edition

Ive used Diskeeper since version 6.0 and luv it (now use 8.0 Pro with XP Pro).
Ive tested each vesion Ive owned while running various programs at the same time while defraging (including burning cd's) and never had a problem or slow down with Diskeeper . Highly recommend .
There too are some rebates going on HERE

Last edited:
The XP defrag engine uses DiskKeeper, albeit a lite version of it, without all of the options.

Just so you all know :]

Mhmm, and when it is installed, windows automatically makes it the default version. Bought dk9 pro last night, a few minor improvements, but not a whole lot from initial review.

stereo555 said:
Windows 95 Diskeeper 8.0 Home or Professional Edition
Windows 98 Diskeeper 8.0 Home or Professional Edition
Windows Me Diskeeper 8.0 Home or Professional Edition
Windows XP Home Diskeeper 8.0 Home or Professional Edition
Windows NT Diskeeper 8.0 Professional Edition
Windows 2000 Diskeeper 8.0 Professional Edition
Windows XP Professional Diskeeper 8.0 Professional Edition
Windows XP Tablet PC Diskeeper 8.0 Professional Edition
Windows XP Media Center Diskeeper 8.0 Professional Edition

Ive used Diskeeper since version 6.0 and luv it (now use 8.0 Pro with XP Pro).
Ive tested each vesion Ive owned while running various programs at the same time while defraging (including burning cd's) and never had a problem or slow down with Diskeeper . Highly recommend .
There too are some rebates going on HERE

weird, see attached image..
thanks for the replies :) too bad there isnt a free one between them though :( since im in exam year(s) it's a bit risky for me to get a job, meaning --> no money :-/ (and im not a fan of trials lol :p)

Attachments

• diskeeper.gif
    diskeeper.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 109
OK Jognt , try an older version (and freeware) called " Diskeeper Lite" . Diskeeper Lite is free and will do the same as other versions , but you cant set it to run automaticly . This will be version 7.xx and should work with Win2K . Download HERE .

(BTW , I never had any problems myself with this version in the past) ;)

Back