• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC550's ultimate winchester thread, wish me overclocking luck!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker550

Code Product Quantity Price/Ea. Total
120427 AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 512K 90nm (939) (Retail Box-w-Fan) 1 $160.00 $160.00
Warranty: 800011 - 3 Year AMD Direct Express Replacement
Free Sticker Set: 27F457 - AMD Athlon 64 - 3 case badges and sticker
Shipping: Federal Express Ground - Five (5) to Seven (7) Day: $5.90
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $165.90

It better be a winchester like they advertized and not a newcastle. Has anyone else ordered the exact same one? That is a nice price, even comes with heatsink/fan! I will be realistic and just hope for 300x8=2.4GHz with ram 5:4 at 240MHz. anyone know what ram dividers the msi k8n neo2 mobo has? even at 2.4GHz it should own my 2.6GHz newcastle cause of dual channel and higher ipc. also it should like using a gig of ram unlike s754.

Last edited:
Has not got a higher IPC! But 2.4Ghz is definitely attainable which decent cooling. It think it would have to be at least around 2.5GHz to compete with a 2.6Ghz newcastle (using identical set up except mobo of course)

Last edited:
Very original thread title. :rolleyes: Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how you fare compared to your s754 system.

deception``

there IS a higher IPC vs. newcastle. I checked the reviews, one of them used 3dmark 2001 and there was 150 marks more. Also its about 5% faster vs. newcastle in games too. Deny it if you want but ive seen it. I would have NOT gotten a winchester if it werent for the higher ipc, dual channel alone is enough but with the ipc boost factored in, its mine. other reasons are lower temps, lower volts and the ability to run a gig of my ram

Who's OC55? :rolleyes:

By the way, the 3000+ 939 can't be a Newcastle. They never made any 3000+ 939s with the NC core.

Oh, and sorry, but 2.4ghz/512k/939 is not faster than 2.6ghz/512k/cache.

Overclocker550 said:
also it should like using a gig of ram unlike s754.

what Am I missing here? My 754 likes a gig of RAM just fine, it wants even more in certain apps.

Shade00 said:
Who's OC55? :rolleyes:

By the way, the 3000+ 939 can't be a Newcastle. They never made any 3000+ 939s with the NC core.

Oh, and sorry, but 2.4ghz/512k/939 is not faster than 2.6ghz/512k/cache.

Agreed. Only a fool would think that such a performance difference can be had simply by moving from 130nm to 90nm. Granted, there is a slight performance increase, but it is only realized when comparing the processors at equal speeds. Once again you have made the mistake of equating 90nm/130nm with a performance differential similar to that of a Barton/Thoroughbred. The other "perks" are very relevant, but this is undeniably false.

deception``

Overclocker550 said:
there IS a higher IPC vs. newcastle. I checked the reviews, one of them used 3dmark 2001 and there was 150 marks more. Also its about 5% faster vs. newcastle in games too. Deny it if you want but ive seen it. I would have NOT gotten a winchester if it werent for the higher ipc, dual channel alone is enough but with the ipc boost factored in, its mine. other reasons are lower temps, lower volts and the ability to run a gig of my ram

Wow 150 marks more!!! And if the baseline was say 20000 that would make a performance increase of....Oh less than 1%! :rolleyes:

Overclocker550 said:

Anyone that runs 3D Mark also knows that its scores are always within an error of 100-200 points. For this reason alone, it is quite hard to base clear conclusions on one benchmark alone. Once again, you should really look into objective reporting and more logical deductions.

deception``

Actually I retract most of my previous statements as I erroneously thought he was comparing a 130 939 to a 90nm 939! 754 Newcastle v 939 Winchester, Winchester will be around 4-5% better in overall performance. My apologies OC550!

I dont' see how there could be higher IPC resulting from simply shifting to a smaller process, unless AMD did a really major tweak to the K8 pipeline's backend/ execution units. If they did, we'd have known about it by now wont we? But anyhow, good luck with that chip.

OC550 I hope you are only referring to 754 Newcastle v 939 Winchester (which I have already apologised for!) If you still are going on about 939 130nm v 939 90nm, I am afraid you have not got a leg to stand on with any 5% claim.

ok reguardless of what happens, the winchester has lower cache latency than newcastle plus I get dual channel. I checked with others, theres about 300MHz gain going winchester s939 vs. newcastle s754. I will be even with my newcastle starting at 2.3GHz, any higher and its an upgrade, lets put it that way :)

well I bought the GA-K8NSNXP-939 nForce3 Ultra Motherboard for $110. Those go for almost $200 new so I recon I got a great deal. I hope this has less issues than the msi counterpart. I am aware of issues such as you gotta set agp to 67 in order to also lock the pci. another issue is you must set the fsb to 201 first in order to get past 245fsb and if you shut down, it wont cold boot past 245, gotta default it back to 200, manually set to 201 then you can set it up to the 300 the bios supports. max cpu volts is 1.7, max vdimm is 2.7 I think. at least it can overvolt the cpu way more than the 10% the msi has. stock is 1.3v so 10% more is only 1.43. well so far I spent $270 for winchester and mobo excluding shipping, this makes it about a $50 upgrade from my newcastle if you include shipping in. not bad at all!!!!!!

Back